cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full backup not backing up "everything".

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

On my BExec 2010 server, I have created a "Full"  backup job that backs up the "RemoteInstall" folder on our Windows Deployment Server 1x per month.

When I checked to see what was available for 'restore', it ONLY has the immediate sub-folders under "RemoteInstall"available.

Problem

The image files I need to have backed up are 2 folders deep. EG "c:\RemoteInstall\Images\Images to be used". And restating the issue for clarity, it is NOT backing up the folder(s) under C:\RemoteInstall\Images. These folders contain my image files (they have a .wim and .rwm file extension).

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I created a new job and I selected RemInst Share (vs drilling down to the folders within that share) and when this backup completed, all my folders and files were available for restore. (I ddnt select Sys State nor Shadow Copy in this particular instance)

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This folder is probably backed up as part of the system state. Expand your system state and you will find the folder and contents To retrieve the files without restoring the system state, do a redirected restore of the system state to another directory

ArulPrasad
Level 6
Employee

its part of the Shadow copy component, WDS writer is responsible for backing up this data!!

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

Sorry for slow reply.

Ok. I did a backup of the WDS Server and selected System State and Shadow Copy. (And nothing else.) It did a large backup of 140 GB. This must be some type of clue since the Image dir itself is about 115GB. But....

When I then go to 'Restore' and I select System State, the only sub-folders I see to choose are:   

1. Automated System Recovery\BCD

2. COM+ Class Registration Database

3. Registry

4. System Files

And when I go to 'Restore' and select Shadow Copy Components, the only sub-folders I see to choose are:   

1. Service State\Windows Deployment Services\C:_RemoteInstall_Mgmt

2. Windows Management Instrumentation

Perhaps worth mentioning...the job log  said Completed with exceptions.

Backup- \\ServerName\Shadow?Copy?Components

"VSS Snapshot warning. File C:\RemoteInstall\Setup\*.* is not present on the snapshot.

hmmm...if I come across anything I will post back. And if you have other idea(s), please post.

JustTryinToGetI
Level 6

I created a new job and I selected RemInst Share (vs drilling down to the folders within that share) and when this backup completed, all my folders and files were available for restore. (I ddnt select Sys State nor Shadow Copy in this particular instance)