cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Full backup to tape for shutdown

TandyBrands
Level 4

Ok,

So I have several servers I will be shutting down permanantly, that I need to do a full recovery backup for.  I'm looking for the simplest method to do that.  I did try to follow the following article:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=tech180099

And it created an ISO to boot from, but when I go and look at the backed up information, it's not clear what I have.  Each drive letter created a backup, (C, D, E, H drives). I have a System State, and two shared folders in my tree of things backed up.

I guess what I am looking for is a single backup of everything to one tape (and the associated ISO if need be), that I can hand the tape and the ISO file/CD off to someone to do a full restore if need be.  Is there an easier way to go about this?

Thanks,

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you backup an entire server, the various resources will be broken up, in the sense that you will see a C: drive backup and so on this is normal. If your job target a tape and everything fits onto it, them you have a tape. Otherwise, you may end up with more than one tape. After the backup successfully completes, you can then use the .Dr file to create your SDR disk

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

pkh
   VIP    Certified
When you backup an entire server, the various resources will be broken up, in the sense that you will see a C: drive backup and so on this is normal. If your job target a tape and everything fits onto it, them you have a tape. Otherwise, you may end up with more than one tape. After the backup successfully completes, you can then use the .Dr file to create your SDR disk

TandyBrands
Level 4

Got it.  So, If I just back up all these logincal resources, I'll be fine.  I hand off the tape, and from what I read only need to do the .DR file, as the ISO is only needed if there are specific drivers, would that be correct?

Thanks,

James

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes. The .Dr file is crucial