Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GFS strategy

danisimo
Level 3

Hi,

I would like to implement the following GFS strategy:

monday-friday daily (diff), weekly (full) every weekend and monthly (full) every 3 months.

I am backing up to disks and I have created the following media sets

• Daily: overwrite protection period 5 days, append 1 day
  • weekly: overwrite protection period 4 weeks, append 1 week
  • monthly: overwrite protection period 12 weeks, append 4 weeks

Can anyone tell me if this satisfies my strategy. I am also open for advices.

also I am struggling in understanding backup exec. I have the monthly scheduled to run every last day of the month, how does it know to not overwrite until 3 months from last run based on the above media rule? if it is running every last day of the month, is it avoiding the media rule?

Thanks for your time and help

3 REPLIES 3

Kiran_Bandi
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Always use "Overwrite only" in the B2D jobs and choose None append in media set properties.

Daily: If you want to save daily backups for a week, use OPP 6 days and Ap None.

Weekly: OPP a little less than a month and AP None

Monthly: You have to choose any thing in betweek 3-4 months OPP and AP none. As you have choosen lesser value, third monthly backup may be overwriting first months backup.

Choose the media management setting as Overwrite Recyclable media in target media set before overwriting scratch media.

This also helps: https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/faq-how-configure-media-setsb2d-jobs-and-backup-exec-proper-management-disk-space-while-using-

Regards....

danisimo
Level 3

Thanks Kiran for your time.

I do not understand why you recommend the AP to be none. For example, the daily differencial needs to add to the file the changes every day and at the end of the week, a full backup of the file is written to the backup to disk folder as WeekX. Thats what I want. Do I have it right the way I implemented the strategy?

Thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

When you back up to disk, there is no advantage in appending to the .bkf file, so you should always use overwrite in your B2D jobs.  BE will create a new .bkf or overwrite an old .bkf file.