cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT Errors on W2012 R2 Hyper-V VM Backup (BE 2014)

jasonlehrhoff
Not applicable

So along with hundreds of other dissatisfied users, I was also forced to upgrade to Backup Exec 2014 as 2012 doesn't really properly support VM backups of Windows released in the same year.  First I found that BE 2014 needed to actually be installed on Windows 2012 R2 in order to backup 2012 R2 VMs.  Now after doing that (I ended up installing on a 2012 R2 VM) I setup my backups and started receiving the following errors:

Backup- VRTSRV::\\VMHOST2\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\DC2
V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'DC1' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.
V-79-57344-38769 - Virtual machine 'DC2' was backed up using an offline backup, therefore the VHD / VHDX files are only crash consistent. File-level recovery can be performed, but results may be unpredictable. Application-level recovery cannot be performed for this virtual machine.

Backup- VRTSRV::\\VMHOST1\Hyper-V?Virtual?Machine\DC1
V-79-57344-38732 - Virtual machine 'DC1' does not meet the requirements necessary for Backup Exec to restore individual application items. You cannot perform GRT-enabled restores of application data from this backup.
V-79-57344-38769 - Virtual machine 'DC1' was backed up using an offline backup, therefore the VHD / VHDX files are only crash consistent. File-level recovery can be performed, but results may be unpredictable. Application-level recovery cannot be performed for this virtual machine.

Ok, so I am trying to backup AD on a W2012 R2 DC, on a BE server that is W2012 R2 using Backup Exec 2014 and it does not work! Yes I have the latest RAWS installed on the VMs themselves, and yesI restarted the Hyper-V Volume Shadow Copy Requester service on the VMs.  So.. now I have to setup separate file-level backup jobs that target the System state to actually get proper backups.  Is this a waste of backup storage.. yes it is. Did Symantec build their solution properly? No they did not.Tried to get a free Thsupport case out of this and so far been denied.  The only saving grace is that this was purchased through a non-profit channel so we received an NFR licenses for almost no $. If this had been through a commercial channel, I would have moved to Veeam after the garbage BE 2012 was released.  Symantec you need to wise up your antivirus solutions are getting long-in-the-tooth, Enterprise Vault kind of sucks (trust me I deployed in large enterprise environment and everyone hates it... REALLY? you can only browse through 10 pages of email results??

Ok I digress. The only thing I can think of here that of course is NOT documented is that my Hyper-V hosts are 2008 R2, not 2012 or 2012 R2.  If that is a problem, perhaps Symantec can figure out how to support ir or at least DOCUMENT that they don't? If I had paid the full commercial price for this I'd be losing my mind about now....

2 REPLIES 2

Mahesh_Nayak
Level 4
Employee Certified

Hi Jason ,

Please confirm if the virtual machine is showing offline or online from Microsoft Hyper-V VSS Writer.xml file under \Backup Exec\RAWS\Logs folder on the Hyper-V server

Refer : http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH226536

Revert back with your findings and we would connect further.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Well, MS itself doesn't support a Windows 2012 R2 VM running on a Windows 2008 R2 host - http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc794868%28v=ws.10%29.aspx

That being said, have you tried to backup the AD server using the regular Remote Agent for Windows ? If yes, does the backup complete successfully ?