cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GRT using the Virtual-Based Backup method

sean_anderson1
Level 3

Hello,

I have a cluster with 3 Hyper-V hosts and some VMs. I only need GRT backups on a few of the VMs on the cluster, but when I use the virtual based backup method and use the cluster server object as the virtual host the VM is associated with it doesn't backup anything except the C Drive. The server in question is just a file server, so all our information is on a D drive that is a pass-thru disk in Hyper-V. Is the reason the backup job isn't picking up the D drive because the D drive is a pass-thru disk and not a .vhdx file?

The agent is installed on the VM.

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Data on pass-thru disks are not backed up by the Hyper-V agent for any version BE.  See page 35 of the SCL below.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000024530

You need to backup the VM as if it is a physical server if you want to backup the pass-thru disk.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

DarthBilly
Level 5
Employee

Hi, It sounds like you are trying to backup the VM as an agent instead of a VM.

Under the Hyper-V host you should see items such as C:\ System State and Microsoft Hyper-V. Expand Microsoft Hyper-V and you should see Virtual Machines. Again expand this and you should see each of the VMs. Select the VMs and backup (filre GRT is enabled by default). You will only need to install an Agent on the Hyper-V Host.

Hello,

That is the way the job was setup, the VM was selected under the host. I will say this, this is a new install and I hadn't yet run a full backup of the host itself, could that be the issue? Because under the hyper-v host that VM was selected, but all it backed up was the C drive.

Thanks!

That should work. You do not even need to select the host to backup VMs.Try this, deselect everything except for  VM and run the backup. This way we remove any host issues and focus on the VMs. Once the backup completes, you can attach the job log. If the job is successful, you should see a resource on the Backup an Restore page that matches the net BIOS name of the VM. That is where the GRT data of the VM will show up to restore.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Data on pass-thru disks are not backed up by the Hyper-V agent for any version BE.  See page 35 of the SCL below.

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000024530

You need to backup the VM as if it is a physical server if you want to backup the pass-thru disk.