cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General 2 Site Backup Questions

Upinit
Level 3

Hello All, I currently have a Backup 2010 to Tape methodology for backing up our data but we are going to be moving our production servers to a Co-Lo soon and would like some information regarding how to handle backing up at 2 sites. Requirements would be both sites will be backing up data locally to the SAN and we would like the data to be replicated at both sites for DR.

If I'm reading into this correctly we will need 2 Backup Exec 2014 servers - a CASO at one site and a Managed server at the other. Then I could have both servers perform "Backup to Depuplication Disk Storage and then Duplicate to Deduplication Disk Storage" jobs. My questions:

• Is this correct or am I way off base? Is there an easier way to do what I'm attempting with BE 2014?
  • I'm guessing best practice would be to have each server with 2 seperate volumes each - 1 that does contains the local backups and the other one dedicated to the replicated deduplicated data?
  • Any licensing snafus to consider?
  • Would there be a benefit one way or another as to where the CASO resides?
  • Any suggestions on Catalog storage?

Thanks so much for any replies. I'm not as technical as I'd like with regards to backup so any help is much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2

pkh
   VIP    Certified
The setup that you described is the correct recommended configuration. No. You can only have one dedup folder per media server. No. You just have to get the license for 2 media servers and the CASO option. You would probably need to buy the ESO option because CASO is now part of ESO. I would suggest that you upgrade to BE 2014 which is the latest version before moving to this configuration. The CAS server should reside on the local site for easy management.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Any suggestions on Catalog storage?

This KB could help you in choosing the right catalog location type - http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=HOWTO99086