cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

General Information - How to get rid of this daily message?

SBE_User
Level 4

Every day I get the following from SBE 2012:

(Server: "") Backup Exec found 5 servers without an Agent for Windows installed. To back up the servers, you must add them to the list of servers on the Backup and Restore tab. Click Add in the Servers group, then click Next. Confirm that you want to establish a trust with the server or servers, then click Next. Click Browse, then expand All Servers. Expand Servers without an Agent for Windows installed to locate the server.

Symantec - if I wanted an agent on any additional servers, I would deploy one.  I have one on all systems that I back up.

How can I get rid of this annoying email?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

By default, the data discovery operation runs at noon every day. It also runs each time the Backup Exec services are restarted. Backup Exec cancels the operation if it is still running after four hours. You can disable the operation in the global Backup Exec settings.

1. Click the Backup Exec button, select Configuration and Settings, and then click Backup Exec Settings.

2. In the left pane, select Discover Data to Back Up.

3. Uncheck Discover servers that have data that has not been backed up

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

By default, the data discovery operation runs at noon every day. It also runs each time the Backup Exec services are restarted. Backup Exec cancels the operation if it is still running after four hours. You can disable the operation in the global Backup Exec settings.

1. Click the Backup Exec button, select Configuration and Settings, and then click Backup Exec Settings.

2. In the left pane, select Discover Data to Back Up.

3. Uncheck Discover servers that have data that has not been backed up

SBE_User
Level 4

Thank you Bhavik.

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

@SBEUser

Have you followed the instructions in the message to see what servers BE thinks need an  Agent?

@Bhavik how is going to help him?

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

"Symantec - if I wanted an agent on any additional servers, I would deploy one.  I have one on all systems that I back up.

How can I get rid of this annoying email?"

My understanding of the above is: Admin already has an agent installed on all servers he need to backup. If there are servers without agents in the environment, they are becase the Admin does not want to back them up at this point.

Problem : He keeps getting email notifications from Backup Exec about those servers which he does not wish to backup at this moment. And he wants to turn those notifications OFF.

Solution : As provided!

Why the question eh ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Rather than try to help him determine which servers BackupExec THINKS need an agent, you just tell him to create a new selection list

That's a bandaid not a fix

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

I'm confused !

I'd prefer having this conversation on PM.

Petr_KASL
Level 3
Partner Accredited

This is the first hint here to BackupExec 2012, that really helps me.