Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generating a Report

E_T
Level 2
Certified

Good Day

Need assistance with generating a report for backup database sizes, but listing each database.

I want to see the data growth for these databases in our backups. Is this possible from backup exec or is there a process we need to configure to do this?

Kind Regards,

Evan Thompson

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

E.T: You'd need to get hold of Symantec directly to assist you with this. They don't publish details on the tables, and won't support you going through it yourself. This is your best option in my opinion.

Otherwise find a third party application that integrates into BE and offers better reporting, or more customisable reporting. See the link below...not guaranteed it will help:

https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/LabTech2013/Content/AddOnSolutions/BackupAndRecovery/SymantecBackupExec/Reporting/ReportingOnSymantecBackups.htm+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=za

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you mean the production databases you have backed up or the Backup Exec Database itself?

If the Backup Exec database itself do you mean including the catalog information (which is outside of SQL but should be considered as part of the overall 'database')

E_T
Level 2
Certified

Hi There,

This would be the production databases, we have a backup which selects multiple databases on an instance and i want to generate a report for the month and see how each database has grown in size and not just the total backup size.

Kind Regards,

Evan Thompson

pkh
   VIP    Certified
There is no such report. You would have to manually extract the information you want from the joblog.

E_T
Level 2
Certified

Good Day

Just another option not available with BE......

Thank you so much for your feedback and have a pleseant day.

Kind Regards,

Evan Thompson

pkh
   VIP    Certified
In case you have forgotten, BE is a backup tool. It is not a capacity management tool. Why do you expect the report that you want to be provided by BE?

E_T
Level 2
Certified

Clearly i havent forgotten its a backup tool since i'm in a forum called Backup exec..... Kind of insulting.

With Backup exec i can already generate a report with most of this information and a size of the total for all these databases, is it too far fetched for one more shred of information to be included?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Wouldn't it be better to also know which table is causing the database size to increase?

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

E.T: You'd need to get hold of Symantec directly to assist you with this. They don't publish details on the tables, and won't support you going through it yourself. This is your best option in my opinion.

Otherwise find a third party application that integrates into BE and offers better reporting, or more customisable reporting. See the link below...not guaranteed it will help:

https://docs.labtechsoftware.com/LabTech2013/Content/AddOnSolutions/BackupAndRecovery/SymantecBackupExec/Reporting/ReportingOnSymantecBackups.htm+&cd=7&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=za