cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generation of database encryption key for export

Brian_B2
Level 3

We have a relatively simple environment of one CASO server and three managed media servers. Recently we upgraded from 2012 to 15 FP2, and I was expecting that once the upgrade was completed, database encryption (and in turn, keys) would be generated, as per the admin guide upgrade documentation.

Well, on the Backup Exec home GUI, it shows in big fat letters "Database Encryption Key Has Not Been Created." Because of this, of course, we're unable to export the key to an alternate location as advised in the documentation.

We've actually worked with Veritas phone support for a couple weeks now and aren't getting anywhere with them (not sure why they haven't escalated to a database engineer or something yet). We've tried removing the MMSes from the CASO and re-adding them (which caused all sorts of other issues that we just finished sorting out!), but no luck.

I came across a registry key you can change to force regeneration of the database key, but it would seem that only works if there's already an existing key so no luck there.

I also discovered that the three MMSes were have successfully generated keys, as I was successful in exporting them to alternate location (via Configuration and Settings > Backup Exec Settings > Database Maintenance and Security > Encryption key management path...), but still that changed nothing about the CASO's predicament.

Surely there's a way to manually force the database to generate an encryption key, right?

Thanks for any light you all can shed on this.

2 REPLIES 2

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

The CASO server's encryption keys will be generated only when all MMS servers are upgraded to the same version & patch. Has this been done ?

If yes, please send me your case number via a pvt msg. Thanks.

Brian_B2
Level 3

Yes, all the MMS servers had been upgraded to ver. 15 FP2. In fact, one of the first things we tried after creating the case was to install the recently released FP3 on CASO and MMS servers, in hopes that would fix the problem, but it did not.

I will send the case # via PM.