cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Generell Question of understanding

cdeibert
Level 3
Hello,

I am at ther process of setting up Backup Exec 11d with an HP Tapeloader 1/8. I configured several jobs, used rules, have media sets with write protection etc. But: What I do not understand is how to format all tapes automatically, e.g. when a new bunch of tapes are inserted, because I find it difficult to define it in a job, as long as I always append data, when these old tapes are someday re-inserted.

How do you handle this ?

Thanks in advance !

Carsten
2 REPLIES 2

cdeibert
Level 3
Hello,

I think I have to be more precise in formulating what I want to understand - again: Help greatly appreciated !

Ok, I have a robotic library for the first time in use. Now I have created a bunch of backup-jobs and what I am not sure about is how to manage these jobs; they run on a daily basis (some are full backups, other differential). I want to make sure that no data is overridden accidentally.

Therefore is the feature of the media write protection, I know. So, what I am not sure about is:

These jobs can each be defined as "overwrite media" or "append, if possible, then overwrite" etc. So what do I have to ? Do I define them as "overwrite", as they can't be overwritten because of the media write protection after the backup has been run ? Is the next job than automatically appended (on the same tape, as long there is enough space)? Because if I choose "append, if possible, then overwrite" I think it'll turn out that - as long there is some free space on tape (doesn't matter how old and if the backup on this tape needs to be kept or not) , it'll be appended and not much space will be left soon.

I hope I could explain where I whant to go, again, I'm thankful for any advice !

Hywel_Mallett
Level 6
Certified
I tend to have the first job of each night set to Overwrite, and all the other jobs set to append or overwrite if no appendable media.
Provided you have your media sets configured correctly it seems to work OK.