cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Error V-79-40960-38521 when try to full vm backup

Sharoni
Level 3

Hello

I'm backing up monthly from Hyper v host full backup to all my clustered VM's, im getting error V-79-40960-38521 only for 4 VM's, SS backup is ok for those VM's.

I'm using backup exec 16, all the machines have iscsi volumes connected, 2 of the machines are server 2008 r2 and 2 server 2012 r2, in hyper v host (server 2012 r2) i'm getting event id 10110 ( The virtual machine cannot be backed up because it has incremental backup enabled and iSCSI disks connected to it), i tried a few solutions from the web and nothing solved that.

I tried full updates, changed vss provider, apply hotfix KB2996928 but nothing help.

Appreciate is someone can advice. Thanks. (attached error photo)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Update

Configuration and setting > backup exec setting > virtual machines, 
change to " Use the standard processing method "  solved the problem.

Thanks

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Virtual agent backups can ONLY be used for VMs that are wholely contained inside VMDK (VMware) or VHD/VHDX (Hyper-V).  If there are any volumes inside the VM that are attached into the VM using another method then a virtual agent backup cannot be used and traditional AWS agent backups have to be used.

Also if you setup a cluster inside VMs (I am talking about the VMs themselves not the hosts) then this counts as a distributed environment and GRT backups are not supported if a distributed environment exists inside VMs (Clusters, DAGs, Sharepoint Farms etc all count as distributed environments)

Hi Colin and thanks for answer
3 months ago the same job succeed with the same environment,
i didnt find what happend except i upgrade to backup exec 16 and moved a few SS backups to azure,
for your answer i dont have cluster or something that count as distributed environments inside VMs,
it is 3 phisical Dell PowerEdge R610 cluster with SAN DELL EqualLogic PS series storge,
it is a big job that run 18 Full VMs to local dedup and duplicate to tape vault and only 4 of them give this error.
Thanks !

Please help

Thanks in advance

Colin_Weaver

Might be time to log a formal support case - although to be honest I think the Job Failure is a symptom of the entry in the HyperV-VMMS log so it is likely that something to do with how the VMs are configured are incompatible with the snapshot/backup method amd it oustide of the control of Backup Exec itself. 

Hi 

still stuck with the same problem after trying hours of diffrent things, i'll be glad if someone see this and can help or advice, the problem is im getting event id 10110 error on HYPER-V host when trying to backup full VM with iscsi attached on (SAN DELL EqualLogic PS series storge), Im trying to backup only the vm without the iscsi volume.

attached new screenshot of the error

Thanks in advance

Colin_Weaver

That is a Microsoft limitation of their snapshot process againt VMs and you will have to switch to to traditional agent for windows backups to protect that server (or move the data/volume held on iSCSI into a VHD)

Update

Configuration and setting > backup exec setting > virtual machines, 
change to " Use the standard processing method "  solved the problem.

Thanks