cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting Exchange 2010 to work on clean installation of SBS 2011

highlysceptical
Level 2

I have done a clean install of SBS 2011 on a new drive on an existing server.  I have redirected Exchange to the existing databases, but I cannot mount them.  As far as I can tell, the reason is that the Active Directory entries are not identical.

My question is therefore whether I can use Backup Exec to back up Exchange on the old drive, and then restore it to the new drive.  I have created a backup of my operating system and the Exchange database folders.  But when I run Granular Restore | Exchange Mail, I can only see the mailbox folders - the public folders are not listed.

So can anyone tell me how to get both the mailbox folders and the public folders working on the clean installation of SBS 2011?

2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You won't be able to use GRT to restore Public Folders...consider duplicating the Information Store to disk, and then using Microsoft's best practices to restore the Information Store manually.

Read below if you don't know how to do so:

Thanks!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

View solution in original post

Jaydeep_S
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

But whatI don't understand is why it has to be so complicated

Unfortunately, thats the way Exchange is designed and integrated with AD. While working with Backup and recovery product, you need to backup and restore the data as and how it is supported by the application API.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

You won't be able to use GRT to restore Public Folders...consider duplicating the Information Store to disk, and then using Microsoft's best practices to restore the Information Store manually.

Read below if you don't know how to do so:

Thanks!

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

Its would not be that simple as backing up from your old drive and restoring to a new drive. You would need to perform a complete disaster recovery of the SBS server. This means, you need a complete backup set of your old server - Data drives (C:, D:, etc) + System State + Exchange Information Store + SQL databases + Sharepoint and everything else that was configured. Then you would have to perform a step by step Disaster recovery of the server. Here is the DR document.

http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH83015

highlysceptical
Level 2

Thanks for the responses and the links.  I will have a read later in the week.

But whatI don't understand is why it has to be so complicated.  All I effectively want to do is to change a hard drive.  The databases are fully intact, so why can I not just update the new installation of Windows so that it knows where to find / how to address those databases?

Jaydeep_S
Level 6

But whatI don't understand is why it has to be so complicated

Unfortunately, thats the way Exchange is designed and integrated with AD. While working with Backup and recovery product, you need to backup and restore the data as and how it is supported by the application API.