cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting a driver for a tape drive

AlekseyMAM
Level 3
The Server is not connected to the Internet. How can I get a tape driver? Dell Ultrium 5 Tape Drive.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your first post was tagged as using Backup Exec 20, now you implied you are using Backup Exec 16.  Which Backup Exec version are you using?

What operating system version?

What is the interface to your tape drive, SCSI or SAS?

Based upon the photo, ITDT can read the serial number of the tape drive.  You would need to look at the "Details" screen of the tape drive in the Backup Exec GUI to see if Backup Exec is reading the serial number of the tape drive.  I see no reason that Backup Exec would NOT be reading the serial number of the tape drive, but I don't know why the tape drive is offline in Backup Exec yet. 

Is the tape drive "online" in Backup Exec when you restart the Backup Exec services?  Can you right click on the tape drive and click on "offline" to bring the tape drive back online?

What HBA are you using in the server for the tape drive?  Unless specifically stated in technote article http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683 , tape libraries or tape drives attached to a RAID controller are not supported.

So far, I see no idication that you are missing a tape drive driver or that you need to do anything with the Hot-swappable Device Wizard (that is for USB or iSCSI devices).

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

Marianne
Partner    VIP    Accredited Certified

@AlekseyMAM 

Use your internet-connected desktop/laptop to download the drivers.

You can then copy the downloaded file to the BE Server.

Good afternoon Marianne!

Please tell me the link to download the driver.

Thank you very much for the answer!

Sorry, I didn’t notice the link.

Marianne

I do not have any links.

Best to go to Dell's website and search for the tape driver.

BE HCL says the following: 
Kernel-mode drivers from Microsoft or the tape hardware vendor are generally acceptable to be installed.

Need an application-mode driver. The one that installs the “Hot-swappable Device Wizard”.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Backup Exec normally installs everything needed for tape drives and robotic libraries.

I do not think that you want or need an application-mode driver.  Why do you think that you do?

What led you to the “Hot-swappable Device Wizard”?  I believe that is from a much oldr version of Backup Exec.

Good afternoon Larry! The problem is in the file attachment. The tape is not detected. What can you advise me in this case?

The Hot-swappable Device Wizard is listed in Part 11 of the Administrator's Guide.
Product Version v16.0.

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Please look for any hardware errors such as Event ID 5/7/9/11/15 in Windows Event viewer. Try running Discover.exe , details in following technote :

https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.100016050

Thanks and Regards

Marianne

@AlekseyMAM wrote:

Good afternoon Larry! The problem is in the file attachment. The tape is not detected. What can you advise me in this case?

@AlekseyMAM 

So, the problem is NOT with the tape DRIVE, but with the tape. 
Are you saying that you have loaded a tape in the drive, but that the drive is not detecting the tape?

If that is the case - I have seen that once. The problem was solved with updated firmware for the tape drive.

Marianne, the "IBM Tape Diagnostic Tool", detects and reads the serial number from the tape.
But "Backap Exec" does not see it. Do you think that updating the firmware will help?

Marianne

@AlekseyMAM 

Yes, I have seen the photos.

The serial number is the tape drive serial number.

The photo of BE console shows that BE sees the tape drive, but that no tape/media is loaded in the drive.

Have you loaded a tape into the drive? 
Can you physically check the drive to see if the 'Ready' light is on?

Yes. The tape is loaded in the drive. The test ends with success.
I think the problem is in the SCASI interface. HCL denotes the SAS interface.

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Your first post was tagged as using Backup Exec 20, now you implied you are using Backup Exec 16.  Which Backup Exec version are you using?

What operating system version?

What is the interface to your tape drive, SCSI or SAS?

Based upon the photo, ITDT can read the serial number of the tape drive.  You would need to look at the "Details" screen of the tape drive in the Backup Exec GUI to see if Backup Exec is reading the serial number of the tape drive.  I see no reason that Backup Exec would NOT be reading the serial number of the tape drive, but I don't know why the tape drive is offline in Backup Exec yet. 

Is the tape drive "online" in Backup Exec when you restart the Backup Exec services?  Can you right click on the tape drive and click on "offline" to bring the tape drive back online?

What HBA are you using in the server for the tape drive?  Unless specifically stated in technote article http://www.veritas.com/docs/000038683 , tape libraries or tape drives attached to a RAID controller are not supported.

So far, I see no idication that you are missing a tape drive driver or that you need to do anything with the Hot-swappable Device Wizard (that is for USB or iSCSI devices).

Larry, Marianne! Thank you very much for your help! You really helped me deal with the problem! The problem was that the tape drive is connected to the RAID controller. Thank you very much!