cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Getting an error when trying to install 2012 agent.

bbutler
Level 3

When attempting to install BE2012 agent on a windows 2012 server running MSSQL getting the following error:

FATAL ERROR: Error 1401. Could not create key \SOFTWARE\Symantec\Backup Exec For Windows\Backup Exec\Debug

Copied the RAWSX64 directory to the root of C:\ and ran setup as administrator.

This has worked on 50+ other servers.

I was able to manually create the Key in the registry.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Brian

8 REPLIES 8

lmosla
Level 6

Hello, is this an upgrade or a fresh install? If there is an existing remote agent, uninstall it, reboot and try to run the install again,

also if you have any antivirus software running, disable it during the install.

bbutler
Level 3

Thanks, New install, and I have already disabled the AV.

bbutler
Level 3

Oh, and still not working

Escape_be
Level 4
Partner Accredited

I don't think the mentioned error is a Symantec install error. Try this: set permissions on registry keys.

Use with caution, make a backup, etc...

1. On the Windows Task bar, click Start, Run.
2. Type "regedit" (without the quotes) and click OK.
3. Browse to the specified registry key.
4. Right click the key and select "Permissions."
5. In the Group or User names field, select the user installing the program. Be sure the user has administrative rights.
6. Under the Permissions field, make sure "Full Control" and "Read" are both set to "Allow."
7. Click OK and attempt the operation again.

In some cases it may be necessary to change the permissions of the System account (which is different than the permissions on the Administrator account). If you try the above steps and it still doesn't work, then try this:

1. Run regedit
2. Right click on HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT
3. Click Permissions
4. Click on the Add button then add Administrators and click OK.
5. In the resulting "Permissions for HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT" window, check the "Allow" box for full control and read.
6. Click the Add button again and add SYSTEM and again check the Allow box for full control and read.
7. Click Ok, exit regedit.
8. Rerun setup and you'll be all set.

best of luck!

Ben

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi Ben,

Please quote the source from which you've pulled this information...otherwise someone else's information gets passed off as yours.

http://www.sperrysoftware.com/kb/questions/5/How+to+Troubleshoot+a+%22Error+1401%3A+Could+not+create...

...this is an example.

Thanks!

Escape_be
Level 4
Partner Accredited

the learning curve... i'll do my best!

Merion
Not applicable

We recently had a Windows 2012 server with both Symantec Backup Exec and Endpoint Protection installed.  When the Backup Exec would not load successfully, we were told that it is a known issue and that Symantec is working on a patch to fix it.  By this thread, it appears that you (Brian) have previously loaded Backup Exec on Windows 2012 servers on numerous occasions, and Ben, you are suggesting that the issue may be resolved by making changes to the permission is the registry.  Have either of you heard of a patch in the works to fix this issue?

Thx,

Merion

bbutler
Level 3
The permissions were already set that way... Still not working.