cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Globally Excluding USB Drives in Backup Exec 15

OJanicki
Level 3

Hello,

I recently upgraded to Backup Exec 15.  I run my backups to USB hard drives connected to the media server.  I manually unselected the hard drives from the backup of the media server, however I found them reselecting as I ejected and swapped media around.  I could have as many as four connected at once but this is rare, usually it is only one but on the weekend it is always two.

I don't want to double-check the backup selection set prior to every backup!  The solution appeared to be the Global Exclusions list, however the Resource Name field is greyed out and cannot be directly edited.  You can add to the Path and when working with a folder, it works fine.  However I tried to do it with a drive and it didn't work.  So for example:

\\*\*\**Endpoint Protection*\

This successfully excludes Symantec Endpoint Protection from all backups.

I tried to put E:\ in the Path and I got this, which doesn't work:

\\*\*\E:\*.*

If I am deciphering the syntax correctly, what I want is to have this added instead:

\\*\E\*.*

Is there a mechanism of making the Path field editable, or is there another method to achieve my goal of globally excluding any USB drive (letter's E: through K:) ?

Thanks,

Oscar

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You use either of these two methods to solve your problem

1) Deselect the server and then select only the internal disks that you want to backup.  Note that this method will turn off SDR for this server.

2) See the end of this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98839

for a registry setting to exclude the backing up of .bkf files.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You use either of these two methods to solve your problem

1) Deselect the server and then select only the internal disks that you want to backup.  Note that this method will turn off SDR for this server.

2) See the end of this document

http://www.symantec.com/docs/HOWTO98839

for a registry setting to exclude the backing up of .bkf files.