Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP ! How to activate Advanced Disk-Based Option and synthetic restore

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Dear all,

I installed the license for Advanced Disk-Based Option, but when I go on an incremental backup I cannot see the whole (syntetic) folder with all files backuped for the previous day...

Does someone knows what I should do to "activate it" ?

Thanks a lot for any help,

Denis
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
You must use a policy based set of jobs (with gather inform,ation for synthetic enabled in the templates)and the way a synthetic then works is

1) A Baseline Full Backup must run
2) One or more incremental backups run
3) A Synthetic backup is run which must have access to the basline and all the incremenetals since the baseline (from steps 1 and 2) and makes a Synthetic Full
4) One or more incremental backups run
5) Another Synthetic backup is run which must have access to the previous synthetic full and all the incremenetals since that previous synthetic (from steps 3 and 4) and makes a new Synthetic Full
6) Keep repeating steps 4 and 5

Note 1: unless you have a multi-drive library then all of the above backups should use a disk target with the correct overwrite protection set so that the media needed to build each Synthetic Full is always available. If you need tape based backups you can add a duplicate job to duplicate the Synthetic Full to tape.

Note 2: BackuP Exec should come with an example policy for synthetic backups  - although it is possble that this is only created during initial install and not if you add the ADBO serial number later.

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified
You must use a policy based set of jobs (with gather inform,ation for synthetic enabled in the templates)and the way a synthetic then works is

1) A Baseline Full Backup must run
2) One or more incremental backups run
3) A Synthetic backup is run which must have access to the basline and all the incremenetals since the baseline (from steps 1 and 2) and makes a Synthetic Full
4) One or more incremental backups run
5) Another Synthetic backup is run which must have access to the previous synthetic full and all the incremenetals since that previous synthetic (from steps 3 and 4) and makes a new Synthetic Full
6) Keep repeating steps 4 and 5

Note 1: unless you have a multi-drive library then all of the above backups should use a disk target with the correct overwrite protection set so that the media needed to build each Synthetic Full is always available. If you need tape based backups you can add a duplicate job to duplicate the Synthetic Full to tape.

Note 2: BackuP Exec should come with an example policy for synthetic backups  - although it is possble that this is only created during initial install and not if you add the ADBO serial number later.

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok I will try to see this and let you know... Thanks a lot for your help...

teiva-boy
Level 6
Note 2, seems to be true.  Fresh install, with the feature installed, you get the example policy.  Add it in later, you do not get the policy.

No big deal, as it's pretty easy to create.

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited
Dear Colin,

For various reasons I would like to avoid policy based tasks.

I remember having done full backup and then incremental with same selection and it worked.
I'm almost sure it worked. Is that possible or not ?

More precisely, is there any way to do it without policies ?

Thanks a lot in advance,

Denis

P.S. If not I will come back here with questions about policies ;)

RahulG
Level 6
Employee
Nope you cannot do it without a policy , the job has to be created via a policy

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok, in the meantime I created it via policy :)

Anyway, more important it must use "archived bit" and doesn't work with modified time.
I would have preferred not to modify anything on the server (backup as "readonly") but well, that's life ;)

Thanks to everyone for your help !

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear Teiva-Boy,

You said "Fresh install, with the feature installed, you get the example policy".

But there is even more simple :

Menu "Tools" > "Recreate sample policies" :)

Denis

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Dear all,

Now that I tried the solution above, I have another big problem, Backup Exec 2010 CRASHES everytime this task is launched ???

Do you have any suggestion of what I should do in such a case ?

Thanks a lot for any help !

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should start a new discussion for this problem and provide more information on the circumstances of the crashes.

magix
Level 5
Partner Accredited

Ok !
I will do that...