cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP PLEASE ! MSX07 GRT to DISK

Neil_Richings
Level 4
I'm sure this is a heavily repeated topic but we've failed to find any decent workable solutions.

We have MSX07 on SVR 08

Backup svr SVR 03 with BEXEC 12.5 (latest patches)

Both svr's checked and running gig nw, both high pfr, high pfr nw blah blah.

BEXEC is so painful.

-We want to be able to do restores without mounting the whole exchange store, we understand to do this you need to backup to local disk.
  • We have set the backup job two ways, firstly using max file size with a file size of 150 gig, info store 117 gig
  • and second way using max file size with standard (default size)

-Whichever way we try we get thruput of around 50mb a min

Does anybody understand or know this fault with backup exec, we're not interested in articles referring to performance management as that's not the problem

Any other views much much appreciated

Thanks in huge anticipation in resolving this painful problem
6 REPLIES 6

Neil_Richings
Level 4

Is there really nobody with any idea how to resolve this ?

N

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi Neil,

There are issues when doing GRTR restores from tape. Mainly if your restore plugs, you have to start a lengthy process...select what you want, run the job, allow the tape to spool to where it needs to be etc.
I had the same issue, and resolved it via this article I wrote. I stage ALL my Exchange restores to disk now. Firstly it shows whether or not my backups work, and if there are any issues, I already have the data on disk to restore from.
Try it, see if it works...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/restoring-exchange-or-individual-mailboxesitems-using-backup-exec-howto

Laters!

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
What kind of device/array are you using for your GRT target?
Up-to-date on drivers and firmware?
if you just do a simple XCOPY from the local server of 8-10GB of data, what kind of throughput do you get?   from a remote server?

Neil_Richings
Level 4
Thanks Ken,

Craig V, please see my post, we're pretty experienced with bexec but thankyou anyway.

Ken, Copies at lightspeed across a gig nw to a proliant raid 5 array, backup svr also proliant and raid 5 but raid 1 on the local.

This is only a backup exec problem.

I believe or would like to believe it's a bexec tweak that's required ?

As I said i've read numerous articles on google and here about this issue but no resolution.

Thanks, N

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Well, if you are getting fast XCOPYs then you're probably correct that the problem is some BackupExec tweak, but I have no idea what it might be.  

For B2D devices, BE uses the OS for access, there are no tweaks that I know of, like there are with tape drives

Neil_Richings
Level 4
Ok thanks Ken

Does anybody have this problem with grt backups to disk ?