cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP 960 Autoloader going offline with Backup Exec 12.5 SP3

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Hi,

I'm having problems with a HP 960 Autoloader, and Symantec Backup Exec.

Config;

- Windows 2003 R2 SP2 (32 bit)
- Backup Exec 12.5 SP3
- HP Storageworks 1/8 Autoloader 960 connected to the Windows Server via a HP/LSI Logic PCI-x Ultra320 SCSI Card

For the last few weeks, all the tape backups have failed, all B2D backups run fine. The tape backups all go to the HP Autoloader. The tape backups fail at various points before they get to 100Gb.

The tape backups fail with error;

Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe00084f0 - The device timed out.
Final error category: Backup Device Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-34032

Application event logs show errors 33152 and 57665
System event logs show error 11

Once the backup job has failed, the autoloader and tape drives disappear from windows device manager, and I have to restart the server and autoloader to get them back.

I'm using the symantec drivers as recommended by Symantec.

I've run the HP Tape Tools, and that comes back fine, as does a 128Gb test backup via the tools.

I'm still trying to work out if its the software causing issues, or the hardware that may be faulty.

I've uninstalled SP3 for Backup Exec, and rolled it back to SP2 as there have been some posts on other forums about this.

Any more ideas on what to try next?

thanks
Martin
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Just a quick update to say that since I installed the brand new autoloader - we've had no issues with the tape backups.

I've even run liveupdate so that backupexec is fully up to date.

View solution in original post

28 REPLIES 28

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Generally when I see an issue like that there is either a problem with the SCSI controller or the library.  I would suggest getting in touch with your hardware vendor to have them look at the device

Event ID 11: Signifies controller errors. These errors are generally caused by hardware that is not functioning correctly. Attempting to slow the SCSI bus down and verifying that the latest SCSI drivers and firmware are loaded can sometimes resolve these issues. If these errors occur, contact the hardware manufacturer.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Hi there,

HP have HP Library & Tape Tools which you can download here...

http://h20000.www2.hp.com/bizsupport/TechSupport/SoftwareIndex.jsp?lang=en&cc=us&prodNameId=406731&p...

Once done, run the diagnostic checks to make sure that it isn't a drive or robotics failure (which with those autoloaders, is 1 of the 2...I have lots of experience with that particular model failing!!!!!).

HP normally require that you have the latest firmware version installed, so do that too.

You can also check the usual suspects:

1. SCSI cable securely connected
2. RSM service stopped and disabled.
3. Latest drivers from Symantec installed, and that you're not using HP's drivers.

However, from experience it is either the drive or the robotics that have failed...and I am leaning towards the drive.

PS: Sorry, I just saw you've used LTT...

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Hi,

Ok, I'll contact HP to see if they can help.

Everything is using the latest drivers/firmware - and I'm using thre Symantec drivers for the tape drive.
SCSI cable is connected fine.  I've removed the cable, and re-attached it to make sure.

HP Tape tools always comes back fine, even after running the 128Gb test - which makes me think it stilcould be Symantec as Backup Exec always failed before it gets to 100Gb

thanks
Martin

James-RivaNET
Level 3
We have the same problem here.
Even tried a new card in a different server.
All drivers are correct.
HP tools say its fine.
Go in Backup exec and its offline.
Set as online and 20 secs later back to offline.
All firmware was updated.
Kind Regards

James

Dev_T
Level 6
Uninstall SP3..I have faced this issue and after long hours I uninstalled SP3 and everything was fine. You will find many posts in this forum, people uninstalled SP3 and the device communication issue was resolved...

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Hi,

I've uninstalled SP3, and re-applied SP2 - still no change

James-RivaNET
Level 3
SP3 unistall didn't help.
Currently uninstalling Backup exec... reboot... reinstall of 12.5 Sp1 to see if that helps.... I'll post results....

CraigV
OK...1 other thing you can try doing:

1. Turn off the autoloader, and disconnect it from the SCSI port.
2. In Device Manager in Windows Server, delete the autoloader robotics and drive. Restart the server.
3. Let Windows boot, and verify that the device is not showing in Device Manager. This basically allows Windows to detect no hardware on that port.
4. Shut down the server, connect the autoloader and start. Give it time to complete the startup procedure. Then start up the server.
5. Verify the device is seen in Device Manager, and then open up BEWS...run the Device Configuration Wizard again, and load the drivers.
6. Try running a small backup to the device, followed by a normal job.

Laters!

James-RivaNET
Level 3
Thanks Craig... I'll give this a try...
Is there anywhere where i can download 12.5 with sp1 preinstalled?
As downloads from symantec have sp3 / 4 built in...

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Is there a way to keep all the backup exec settings (B2D folders, jobs, policies etc), uninstall the product completely, and reinstall it leaving the settings intact.

CraigV
Hi Martin,

You can copy the Data folder which will contain the DB and catalogs.

James-RivaNET
Level 3
Now getting incompaitable media on the autoloader itself...
Gonna phone HP... But i'm sure the main problem is still going to be drivers.....

James-RivaNET
Level 3
Appears this auto loader with latest firmware etc. will only say incompatible media on the display if the bar code cannot be read.
We have never user Barcodes.
So i've ordered some....
Watch this space.....

CraigV
Mmm...check to see if you have barcode rules enabled.
Under Devices...your device (the robotics)...deselect the item:

Enable barcode rules.

Dev_T
Level 6
Hello Martin,

Please look at this thread.................

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/backup-exec-125-sp3-tape-drive-going-offline

James-RivaNET
Level 3
But its disabled.....
We've ordered some anyway just incase... Had to get a old copy of 12.5 as copy that we bought had sp3 pre installed.
Doungrading to sp2 later... I'll keep u posted...

Martin_Pawlett
Level 4
Still no luck.

After uninstalling (preserving settings), rebooting and installing again without any updates (liveupdate only gives me the sp3 option!) - a test backup fails after only 50Gb

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee
Can you run through this technote to use the tracer.exe program during a backup, then post the log up (.bin format) when completed.  I'll review the file to see if we can see what is causing the issue.

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/285630.htm

CraigV
Hi Martin,

Have you perhaps tried writing to different tapes, or to new tapes if you had available?
Are you getting any sort of tape errors?