cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP Autoloader not seen in Backup Exec

Arif_Rahaman
Not applicable
Hi Everyone,

I recently got a HP StorageWorks 1/8 Ultrium 960 Tape Autoloader (AF204A) and its installed on a Win2k3 Server with Veritas Backup Exec 9.1. I soon realize that only the tape drive was being seen in Veritas. Windows sees both tape drive and Autoloader.

Currently i have the HP drivers loaded and Veritas sees the drive. When i go to Device Configuration Wizard, it only shows the tape drive and not the autoloader. I reinstalled Veritas with Robotic Library support and i still get the same thing.

Help?
4 REPLIES 4

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello,

Have you checked if the drive is compatible with Backup Exec v9.1 ?

If not then kindly check from the link mentioned below:

Symantec Backup Exec for Windows Servers (tm) 9.x (9.0, 9.1) Hardware Compatibility List. Includes HCL information for supported drives, libraries, virtual tape devices, fibre-channel HBAs, switches, routers/bridges, and iSCSI components. For printing purposes, the latest version of Acrobat is recommended.
http://support.veritas.com/docs/282347

If it is compatible then install the latest tape drivers. Refer the below mentioned link:
VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 9.1 - Device Driver Installer (20050115) - Includes Tape Driver Release (20041231) and Robotic Library Release (45) (Intel Only)
http://support.veritas.com/docs/273853

But if it is not listed then install the latest drivers by HP. However, the functioning of the drive with Backup Exec is not guranteed.

Are there any device related errors in System Event log ? If so what are they ?

Is the tape drive conntected to a SCSI Card or a RAID Controller ?

Kindly update.

Regards

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked "assumed answered" and would be moved to "answered questions" pool.

Jimmy_Lung_2
Level 4
I have exactly the same problem. In our case, the autoloader is connected to a standalone Ultra320 SCSI adapter card.

Steve_Bell_2
Level 4
This maybe totally of the track but may be worth checking.

My new "system" showed up as 2 devices but I had no idea about multiple SCSI LUNs and my card didn't support them so both the OS and the BUE got confused trying to sort the configuration.

I had to change SCSI cards and then enable multiple LUN capability as it does not appear to be a default. Once I had the right card and config, I then undid the damage done by removing the device from BUE and then after rebooting, reinstalled the drivers.
All was well.

Russ_Perry
Level 6
Employee
Not sure if it is supported in BEWS 9.1 but the best way to tell is to compare the inquiry string BE gets from the library with those in the 'Inquiry String' column of the HCL referenced above and compare that with what your registry VSDLoadtable has. See http://support.veritas.com/docs/255501 for details on how this works... basically, the inquiry string coming from the tape library must match exactly what is in the VSDLoadtable for BEWS to properly detect and load a driver for a library. As new libraries are added for BEWS support, the drivers are added and the VSDLoadTable is appended.

Russ