Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HP tape auto loader configuration in Backup Exec

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Experts,

Can help with steps or document to configure HP autoloader in BackupExec , Like what are the pre-requisites and do i need to install HP drivers or BE drivers ? and also how to discover and configure Autoloader at BackupExec side.

Backup Exec Version :- BE 2014

Tape Autoloader :- HP 1/8 G2 LTO-6 Ultrium 6250 FC Autoloader

Thanks,

Nayab

9 REPLIES 9

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Once the tape library is discovered and added to the BE console, BE will automatically install the Symantec driver for the tape driver.  The tape library should show in the Windows Device Manager as an Unknown Medium Changer with a Microsoft driver.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...you'd obviously need to zone the tape library and server, and with the StoreEver 1/8 only having 1 FC port, if the FC switch it is attached too dies, so does your connection between the unit and the media server.

Thanks!

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Hi Pkh,

I will be zoning the tape drive only to my Netapp filer as i am going to perform an NDMP backup , as i came to know as soon as i add the NDMP host in to BackupExec it will automatically doscovers the Tape Drive connected to the Netapp filer and the drive can be seen from the list of device from BE. Is that So ?

I will be using this drive dedicated for NDMP backups from my secondary filer so i am not going to zone it to BE server.Am i right to say that ?

Thanks,

Nayab

Adonis_Manansal
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified

Hi Nayab,

Please read below TN. This might help you understand "how to perform backup of NDMP filer with symantec Backup Exec 11d (and above)".

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH48957

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Yes to your first question. What do you mean by a secondary filer? Do you have another NAS?

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Pkh, 

I mean to say we have a HA pair one acting as Primary and another acting as Secondary ( FOR SNAPVAULT ) so i need to tape out the volumes from Secondary Filer to tapes. So i will be connecting my Tape drive only to my Secondary system.

Thanks,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

Adonis,

Thanks for the technote it helped :)

Regards,

Nayab

Nayabsk
Level 6
Partner Accredited

PKH, 

Now i have got a doubt , So now if i connect my filer to only one Storage and if my Filer is Failed over to the other node the backups will fail right ? , Consider i will connect the Tape drive to both the filers and how do backup exec will manage the backups in of a failover of my storage ?

Thanks,

Nayab

pkh
   VIP    Certified
You would have to manually manage which filer you want to backup