cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hardware Encryption Issues

JSITVC
Level 2

Hi all,

Hopefully someone on here will be able to help as I am at a loss with 2 support queries at the moment.

We have backup exec 20 installed and backing up a fileserver to a Quantum Ultrium LTO-8 HH Tape Drive with LTO-8 tapes. All documentation I have seen say they are supported.

However, the Tape Drive in Backup Exec shows "Supports Hardware Encryption: No".

I have the correct Quantum drivers installed.

We have had a replacement tape drive sent and installed with the latest firmware.

Quantum have told me to use the drivers provided by "Symantec" so I am assuming they are not sure what the issue is. I also believe that veritas no longer provide tape drive drivers anymore.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

James

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for your reply. I figured out the issue based on another post you replied to.

The issue was that we were using a Dell PERC H800 RAID SAS controller. I replaced this with an LSI SAS HBA (9207-8e) without RAID functionality and it is now working fine.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Larry_Fine
   VIP   

Is the tape drive a "stand-alone" tape drive or is it in a tape library?  If it is in a tape library, you may need to enable hardware encryption (or set it to application managed encryption) within the library web UI.  Then BE will discover that the drive supports encryption the next time BE services are started.

re: drivers.  Yes, the best practice is to NOT use vendor tape drive or tape library drivers.  That will leave you with the Microsoft drivers, which Backup Exec simply uses as a pass thru.  There is more details about drivers at the top of the HCL.

Thanks for your reply. I figured out the issue based on another post you replied to.

The issue was that we were using a Dell PERC H800 RAID SAS controller. I replaced this with an LSI SAS HBA (9207-8e) without RAID functionality and it is now working fine.