cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Has Anyone Found A Workaround for the SQL AlwaysOn Limitations?

Markus2791
Level 4

I completely understand that Backup Exec can only backup the Primary databases in an AlwaysOn Availability group.  That is quite clear....

We have two nodes running SQL Server:  Node_1 and Node_2.  When we get started, Node_1 is the primary, and backup exec is doing it's thing. 

When a failover occurs and Node_2 is now primary, how can Backup Exec start backing that up without my intervention?

Choice one is that I select all databases on both nodes, but then I get constantly bombarded with the error "The database is in a Microsoft Availability Group. This server is not currently the primary node for that group. Full backups are not supported on non-primary Availability group servers" and all jobs show as having failed.

When I try to connect via the listener FQDN, Backup Exec does not show the SQL Server instance in the selection list, which also makes sense since the listener is only directing traffic.

I want to ensure that the primary databases is always being backed up, even after a failover.  This process should be automatic. Right now the only solution I see is to run a backup SQL script to backup the files to a folder and then backup those files.... but that completely defeats the purpose of having a license to do a database backup/restore.

Any suggestions?

1 REPLY 1

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

BE supports the availability groups with the limitations documented in below technote - 
https://www.veritas.com/support/en_US/article.000021670