cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Having a hard time trying to back up Thecus N12000 shared folders

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Hello. We have Thecus 12000 with shared folders and BE12.0

A few days ago, we were able to back up a few (four out of ten) shared folders just fine, but then the backup job failed while trying to back up the fifth shared folder.  Since then the job keeps on failing, complaining about not being able to connect to the remote agent. Of course the Thecus doesn't have any remote agents installed on it, and it is not possible to have remote agent installed on it.

Our backup selection uses user-defined selections.

All the permissions are in place.

All the credentials are set up correctly and credentials check shows everything is OK.

Any idea what else could be wrong here?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Found the root of the problem. It had nothing to do with the NAS really.

The System Logon Account in BE was linked to someone's AD account who didn't have permissions to the NAS shares.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

RahulG
Level 6
Employee

Check if there is any NDMP related setting on Thecus N12000. NDMP should be disabled .

As to backup any NAS device over share level access - you must make sure that the NAS device itself is not running NDMP. If Backup Exec detects NDMP it assumes that RAWS is installed and then has a failure when it does not get the correct response. Without NDMP on the NAS the media server drops to share level access using the remote agent on the media server to do the work.

Also check what data you have in the 5th folder , any application which is continously accessing the file might also cause the backup job to fail .

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks.

As far as I can tell, the N12000 does not have any NDMP settings. I will double-check.

RAWS is installed on the media server. (Isn't it always installed by default?)

It is strange that the backup worked at first.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Remote Agent service is installed on the media server so BackupExec can protect the local drives

But if you want to backup remote Vista or Win7 or something else that BackupExec thinks is a Server OS, you need either a purchased RAWS or RALUS before BackupExec will connect, even if you cannot install the Agent on the remote machine

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Sorry, I am not following. I see that the BackupExec media server has the "Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems" service up and running on itself.

Also when I go to look at the licenses on the local media server, I see this license listed:

"Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers"

What am I missing?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Also when I go to look at the licenses on the local media server, I see this license listed:

"Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers"

OK, that satisfies the Licensing requirements

Log on to the media server as the BESA (BackupExec Service Account)  the account the services run as and try to map the shares to rule out a permissions issue

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Thanks. I tested the BESA logon and mapping shres successfully yesterday.

P.S. I just noticed that the Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Systems service on the media server runs as a Local System... Maybe I should change it to run as BESA as well.

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Ehhh... changed the Remote Agent service on the media server to run as BESA - didn't help.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

No, the BERemote Service should run as LSA

Got me stumped at this point

I'll go ahead and set the support flag to draw the attention of the Symantec Techs

ANDREY_FYODOROV
Level 6

Found the root of the problem. It had nothing to do with the NAS really.

The System Logon Account in BE was linked to someone's AD account who didn't have permissions to the NAS shares.