cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help Opening/extracting Files from V2i archives

icedvolvo
Level 2

Hi, I have a 2005 copy of Ghost from a previous computer and some older V2i archives I want to open and extract a few files from (not full restore).

I have the Ghost directories also saved and can access the restore points with v2iBrowser.exe but when I try to open the archive I get the following error message:

"Error EC8B0001: The Symantec storage engine has not been initialised."

As I just want to access the archives once I do not want to install Ghost (even if the older version will install on WIndows 7) nor purchase a new version.

Can someone point me at which file (or files) is the service engine and I can start the service manually so I can open the archives and have a look as none of the programs appears to be a standalone utility for lookin inside V2i archives.

thanks

Directories I have are:

Agent
Browser
Console
Shared
Utility

7 REPLIES 7

pkh
   VIP    Certified

This forum is for Backup Exec.

Do post your problem on community.norton.com.

icedvolvo
Level 2
Doesn't Backup Exec use the V2i format ???? Have posted in the norton place as well but if there is a utility available from here it could help. thanks

pkh
   VIP    Certified

No. BE is a completely different product.

icedvolvo
Level 2
But doesn't BSER mount as per https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/which-symantec-products-will-extact-v2i-file#comment-4957311

icedvolvo
Level 2
Actually for all the other people after a solution for this: 1: from this site get the trial version of: Symantec System Recovery Desktop Edition 2: install just the browser 3: use the browser to extract files/directories If you need it for longer you can purchase it but it seems to have got me out of a bind.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

BESR is not BE

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

Just to clarify Symantec System Recovery (SSR) is the current name for a set of products that has in the past also been called Symantec Live State Recovery and Backup Exec System Recovery. It turned out that calling a product that was not based on Backup Exec (although was briefly bundled with it as an option) by the name  "Backup Exec System Recovery" caused confusion, hence then name was discontinued and replaced with SSR

Now SSR does have it's own forum within Symantec Connect (which if you had known the history of the products concerned) would have been a better place to post the question.

It is however good that you found the answer