cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me get my backup jobs back!

Will_Wainwright
Level 3
So my BE 9.1 server died due to a failing UPS. The power "blipped"
and the C:\ drive was toast due to disk corruption.

Due to some other issues it was not possible to simply reinstall & restore the existing BE installation. So, is there any way to get my backup jobs back if I have a copy of BEDB.bak? If I follow this support doc:

http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/269163.htm

The recovery steps complete successfully & the "new" database seems to be the size of the backup database, but the BE server service won't start up, instead it generates an event id 57802 error in the event log with the following infomation:

The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (1627652097) occurred in object -1.

Please advise.

-WillMessage was edited by:
Survive
5 REPLIES 5

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. This error indicates that probabely your server and job engine service are stopped. Please elaborate on that.

2. Is the name of he server the same or diferent now after the rebuild?

3. Elaborate on the procedure you have followed to recover this server.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Will_Wainwright
Level 3
Hey there!

Ok, First question:

I get the error when I try to start the BE server service. Say I reboot the box, log in & start up BE. It will pop up the "Connect to Media Server" box & show me the services are stopped. Hit the services button & start all services & I get the:

---Begin Service start------

Processing services

Start services on server: TASMAN
Starting Backup Exec Naming Service on TASMAN.
The service Backup Exec Naming Service is already running on TASMAN.
Starting Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers on TASMAN.
The service Backup Exec Remote Agent for Windows Servers is already running on TASMAN.
Starting Backup Exec Device & Media Service on TASMAN.
The service Backup Exec Device & Media Service is already running on TASMAN.
Starting Backup Exec Server on TASMAN.

And it just hangs here.....

---End Service Start---

A peek in the event log shows this error:

---Begin Error---

The Backup Exec Server Service did not start. An internal error (1627652097) occurred in object -1.

For more information, click the following link:
http://eventlookup.veritas.com/eventlookup/EventLookup.jhtml

---End Error----

So indeed, the Backup Exec Server service in not started.

Second question:

Indeed the server has a different name. It was called caribbean & now is called tasman. I think I'm starting to see where the problem is, but how do we fix? Perhaps I ought to rename it & see what happens!

Third Question:

The server wasn't really recovered. Due to some issues not related to BE I had to start fresh. The machine was formatted & Win 2003SP1 was installed & patched. BE with SP2 followed. I had the catalogs on my D: drive so I imported them into the new install & found a backup of my old server that i restored to a temp folder. Following the article linked to in my original post (doc #269163) I started to try to get my new install to suck in the old database to see if I could get the old jobs & such back. The database import works & BEUtility shows the database is consistent, it just won't mount up.

Thank you!

-Will

Amruta_Purandar
Level 6
Hello,

- We suggest you uninstall Backup Exec.
- Change the name of the server to match the original name of the server (before the crash)
- Install Backup Exec

This is so as Backup Exec's database does not have entry of the new server. Hence it will not be able to recognise the new server.

We hope this helps.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Renuka_-
Level 6
Employee
Hello,

1. Once the name of the server is changed the servcies will no start if you reload from backup since the old jobs and the servces are configured to run with the older credentials.

2. You may either start with a blank database and re-create the service account with the new credentials and start new.

3. Else you may try to rename the server but that does not garantee that the services will start functioning right. There could be some registry entries which will lead to errors. You may try the option to verify.

NOTE : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked assumed answeredand would be moved toanswered questions pool.

Will_Wainwright
Level 3
I asked my DBA about this problem and he gave me one of those "of course you can't do that" sort of chuckles.

Between that and the first reply asking about the name change and it dawned on me that I ought to rename it back to the old name & see what happens.

I did so & upon reboot the jobs started running & haven't stopped since!

Thanks guys!

-Will