cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help me, i need to know about retaintion hours remaining?

Amman
Level 2

Hey,

I have to do a weekly backup job, and I see the report for scratch media availability, and i see some positive and negative hours remaining on it? can anyone please tell me which one can i use? and what and why are the differences about all this positive and negative hours?i need elloboration that will be a big help.

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

In the devices tab check the overwrite protection date for the tape.

The tape which shows as overwritable can be used for the next backup.

Amman
Level 2

hey thanks a lot for the reply.. but i was given directions to use overwritiable media but problem is there is no overweitiable media avialable? so i am assuming i should use the ones with the positive hours remaining?

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

I am not sure about the term "positive hours remaining" 

If you move any media into the scratch media set it becomes overwritable.

By doing so you are allowing Backup Exec to overwrite the data from the media.

Kenny-Knows-Stu
Level 4

Retension hours remaing in the tab will have some positive and some negative numbers , which denotes hours remaint for the media to become overwritable  or the expiration of retention period

If a media says + 3 hours, it means the the media will become overwritabled after 3 hours (retention period expires in 3 hours)

If a media says - 3 hours, it means the the media had become overwritabled and it been 3 hours ( Retention period has already expired and its been 3 hours)