cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with Backup Schedule/Job Structure in BE2010

Gai-jin
Level 3
I'm taking the opportunity to start fresh with the new version of BE.  A new server, with a clean install of windows and BE, and a new schedule for backups.  (Our old backup scheme was based on a full backup every night.  As our data has grown, this has been taking longer, and is getting unwieldy.)  I'm hoping that others here can critique my proposed new backup scheme, and also advise how best to implement it in BE2010.

Here's what I'm looking at:

We have 2 groups of servers to backup.  One for servers with SQL or other DB's running, and another for everything else.  The DB job doesn't use the open file agent, while the other job does.  Other than that, the schedule for both is identical.

I plan to run a full backup every other Saturday night, with differentials (or possibly incrementals) every night in between full backups.  By my estimates, we should be able to get the full backup and 2 weeks worth of differentials onto a single LTO4 tape.  (One each for DB and Other)  

All jobs will be set to backup to a virtual tape library.  After each backup job completes, it should duplicate to tape.  I want 13 differentials to append to the same tape as the full backup.  

The last day of each month, I want a duplication of the current full volume from the VTL to tape.  This is in addition to the normal nightly backup and dup.  The extra tape will be archived. 

Does this make sense so far?

Is there anything I'm overlooking?

I'll post again in a bit with more 

1 REPLY 1

Gai-jin
Level 3
Creating the bi-weekly full backup and daily differentials seems pretty straightforward, using policies.  I'm running into trouble when it comes to the duplication.  It looks like, based on the included duplication policy, a single template can be used for both duplications, but since I want the full job to always start a new tape, with the subsequent differentials to be appended to that same tape, I think I need two seperate templates/rules.  

Then, to duplicate the entire tape on the last day of each month, I'm thinking I will need a seperate job, scheduled to run later in the day.  (Well after the daily backup and duplicate would be done.)