cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with BackupExec 2012 licensing.

TechMark
Level 3

Hi!

I need some help with BackupExec 2012 licensing for my enviroment, se below.

Server1 Win 2k8R2  Domaincontroller

Server2 Win 2k3R2  MS-SQL server

Server3 Win 2k8R2  BackupExec 2012 Mediaserver
- LTO5 TapeLibrary SaS
- LTO3 TapeLibrary SaS

Server4 Win 2k12  HyperV host
-- VirtualMachine1 Win 2k8R2 Domaincontroller
-- VirtualMachine2 Win 2k8R2
-- VirtualMachine3 Win 2k3      SharePoint server

If I understood the licensingmodell correct I will need the following:

1 License - Backup Exec 2012 (Server3)
2 Licenses - Agent for Windows servers (VirtualMachine1 & 2)
1 License - Agent for Hyper-V and WMware (Server4)
2 Licenses - Agent for Applications and databases (Server2 & VirtualMachine3)
1 License - Virtual Tape Library Unlimited Drive Option (Server3)

Any input will be helpfull.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You will need the following

Server1 - 1 RAWS

Server2 - 1 Agent for Applications and Database.

Server3 - 1 BE 2012 licence.  You do not need any VTL licence since you are not running any VTL.  For your tape libraries, if you have more than one tape drive in each library, then you need a LEO licence for the 2nd and subsequent tape drive.  If you just have one tape drive per library, then you don't need any LEO licence.

Server4 - If you buy a Hyper-V licence, then you only need to buy 1 Agent for Applications and Database licence for VM3.  A Hyper-V licence entitles you to load RAWS on any number of VM's hosted on this machine.  If you are not buying the Hyper-V licence, then you would need 1 RAWS licence each for VM1 and VM2.

However, since Server 2012 is not supported, you would need to back up the VM's as if they are physical machines.   I don't know whether you can buy the Hyper-V licence and still load the RAWS in the VM.  You got to check with Symantec Licencing on this point, in particular.

Before you proceed with your purchase, it is best to confirm with Symantec Licencing because they are the final authority on licencing matters.

You might want to check this.

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello TechMark,

Windows 2012 is still not supported. So you will not require to but license for that.

1 License - Backup Exec 2012 (Server3)
2 Licenses - Agent for Windows servers (VirtualMachine1 & 2)
2 Licenses - Agent for Applications and databases (Server2 & VirtualMachine3)
1 License - Virtual Tape Library Unlimited Drive Option (Server3)

The support for Win 2012 is coming soon.

Rest looks fine to me.

Thanks,

-Sush...

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...support for Windows Server 2012 is only coming towards the end of June or July if I remember correctly, so it is still a while off...

Thanks!

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You will need the following

Server1 - 1 RAWS

Server2 - 1 Agent for Applications and Database.

Server3 - 1 BE 2012 licence.  You do not need any VTL licence since you are not running any VTL.  For your tape libraries, if you have more than one tape drive in each library, then you need a LEO licence for the 2nd and subsequent tape drive.  If you just have one tape drive per library, then you don't need any LEO licence.

Server4 - If you buy a Hyper-V licence, then you only need to buy 1 Agent for Applications and Database licence for VM3.  A Hyper-V licence entitles you to load RAWS on any number of VM's hosted on this machine.  If you are not buying the Hyper-V licence, then you would need 1 RAWS licence each for VM1 and VM2.

However, since Server 2012 is not supported, you would need to back up the VM's as if they are physical machines.   I don't know whether you can buy the Hyper-V licence and still load the RAWS in the VM.  You got to check with Symantec Licencing on this point, in particular.

Before you proceed with your purchase, it is best to confirm with Symantec Licencing because they are the final authority on licencing matters.

You might want to check this.

2012 Portfolio Licensing Guide