cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with data recovery

gointern_gointe
Level 4

Hello,

My server recently crashed, it was windows SBS 2003. I had Backup Exec configured to run backups to a RD1000 drive. I don't remember what version of Backup Exec was on the server.

I reinstalled Windows Server 2008 and installed Backup Exec 2010 R3. Having a hard time recovering data from the backup. For some reason Catalog just stays on Queue and after 4:53mins cancels the job.

Folder structure on the drive is:

IMG002268

- exchange files

Veritas

- B2D

- - a bunch of B2D000414.bkf files each around 4 GB

When I installed Backup Exec 2010 R3 after reinstalling OS I created a new Removable Backup to Disk device and selected D:\ (removable drive root) as the path. I am able to Inventory all the media but cannot catalog. Is it because there might be Backup Exec version mismatch or what is going on?

I tried to delete media and inventory from scratch, move media to retired media and catalog. Catalog operation just stays on Queue.

Could anybody help me out?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Again, unfortunately, no

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

lmosla
Level 6

hi, after you installed Backup Exec did you run and install  live updates? Also, were you able to run a inventory and catalog then a restore of the Data and Catalogs folder to replace the existing Data and Catalogs folder. refer to AmolB's blog https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/blogs/how-protect-backup-exec-itself

gointern_gointe
Level 4

I dont believe I have those folders backed up. I thought I can run a catalog job and it would index all the *.bkf files.

Is this not the case?

gointern_gointe
Level 4

I think I just needed to deselect request all media from the catalog options in tools > options. The job are now running instead of just sitting in queue.

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Uncheck this option "Use storage media-based catalogs" from Tools - Options - Catalogs and try to rerun the Catalog.

Lastly, are there any errors/warnings logged in the event viewer ?

gointern_gointe
Level 4

Is there a way to force catalog job? Could I force a backup from corrupt/broken backup files? I just need to get some data back, doesn't matter if one or two files are corrupt. At the moment restore job doesnt seem to want to run at all and shows "The job failed with the following error: The data being read from the media is inconsistent." error.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
This means that your media is bad and restore is not possible. A catalog will not help in this situation

gointern_gointe
Level 4

So there is no possibility to recover any data?

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Unfortunately, no

gointern_gointe
Level 4

There is no way to recover even partial information? That is very bad. The whole server backup is gone.

gointern_gointe
Level 4

What if I upgrade to a newer version of Backup Exec? Any chance the newer versions would handle corrupt B2D backups better? I am on 2010 R3 with SP4.

pkh
   VIP    Certified
Again, unfortunately, no