cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with designing backup scheme using BEWS & BESR

generaltab
Level 3
I've consolidated my questions here previously posted to another forum..

I'm looking for suggestions for setting up a disk-to-disk-to-tape backup scheme that utilizes either BEWS or BESR (or both).  I have a NAS device and a single, non-autoloading tape drive with which I need to backup a file server, Exchange server, app server (SQL Server), and a few others.

- The file server contains 400GB of files.
- The NAS has 1TB available for disk-to-disk
- A full backup currently fits on three 100GB tapes.
- Differential backups currently fit on one 100GB tape.

Requirements:

1. Ability to perform full system restores. I guess that means that at least BESR will be used for disaster recovery.
2. At least daily, weekly, monthly restore points.
3. Normal, file level restores from disk.
4. Tape for offsite backup not to exceed one day of lost data.

In addition, it would be nice to allow users to perform restores of files from the file server. I don't believe CPS can target NAS devices, but I know BESR can. However, as far as I can tell, Retrieve comes with BEWS, not BESR.

Since I need tape for offsite duplicates, and full restores for disaster recovery, I'm guessing both products are needed. I'm just not sure how to best integrate them.

So far, I've come up with the following:

- BEWS to backup the file server's attached disk enclosure to NAS.
- BEWS to backup Exchange and SQL Server to NAS.
- BEWS to backup DCs System State to NAS.

- BESR to image servers (excluding file server's attached disk enclosure) to NAS.

All of the above jobs would be run as full monthly and weekly, and incremental daily.  The idea would be to use the NAS as a staging area for all of the various sources of data, then make full and incremental duplicates to tape.

Can it be done? Does it make sense?
0 REPLIES 0