cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with restoring individual email with Backup Exec 2010

lcelada
Level 2
Hello everyone;
                             I'm new in the forum and is my first post :o).  I have looked around but haven't found a solid answer to the following question:  I use Backup Exec 2010 and I'm trying to restore a single email from a user's mailbox.  Everytime I try to restore the job it starts fine but it fails becauseit tryis to restore the complete information store, how can I do it so that it only restore the single email or folder that I want? is that possible? or must I restore the whole information store? I use Exchange 2007 and both exchange and backup exec are in a Windows 2008 server.  HEre are the errors:

Restore- \\EMAIL\Microsoft Information Store\Fourth Storage Group
V-79-57344-33935 - The path on the media server for staging temporary restore data when restoring i...

V-79-57344-65072 - Connection to the restore target has been lost.  Operation canceled.

V-79-57344-759 - Unable to complete the operation for the selected resource using the specified op...

Thank you sooo much for any help you guys may provide.

Luis.
8 REPLIES 8

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
If you have the GRT option selected while backing up the data and if you see the individual mailbox in the restore then you can definately restore the individual mailbox. But the error you are getting is something different.
As per the error message it seems you are trying to restore the mail from the tape and when you restore the grt data from tape it stages the complete IS on the local hard disk. The defaul location to stage the IS is c:\temp but you can change this option in the ADVANCED tab in the job properties.
So just select the individual mail that you want to restore and change the path in advanced and run the restore.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

If you had the backups on disk, you could do a direct single item restore

Unfortunately, with GRT enabled backups, BackupExec has to restore the entire store to temp space in order to extract the items you want

For  Exchange 2003 and earlier, backupExec  still supported brick level backups of mailboxes, but not for Ex2007 and Ex2010

lcelada
Level 2
Thank you Sazz and Ken for both your responses.  When I go to restore, and start selecting the item I want I'm able to select all the way dow to the email, and yes it is trying to restore from the tape, how can I get it to only restore the single email without restoring the entire store? I can't do the restore to the local temp folder because the hard-drive only has about 24GB of free space and the the store is much bigger than that therefore the error.  Thanks in advace for any extra help you can provide.
Luis.

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
When you select the individual mailbox in the restore from tape it has to stage the complete IS on the local disk and then it will restore that individual mailbox. There is no other way around it. If you don't have enough space then please attach a removable disk and do the restore.
You can also restore the complete IS to rsg and then restore the individual mailbox but I will not suggest that might make things complicated for you

lcelada
Level 2
Thank you guys for your support.  Sazz I will follow your advice with the external hard-drive.  For future reference, is there a way or setting I can setup the backup so that when I restore a mailbox it doesn't have to load the complete information store?
Thank you

Luis.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
For future reference, is there a way or setting I can setup the backup so that when I restore a mailbox it doesn't have to load the complete information store?

Sorry, not at this time.  If your BKF files were on disk, you could do direct single item restores

I think that direct single item restores from tape has been posted  to the ideas section of the forum (top menu bar, far right).  I'm pretty sure that this is a technical problem, tho, not just a design choice

lcelada
Level 2
One last question guys :o) do you know of any official document in Microsoft or Symantec that states the fact that one cannot restore individual emails from tape, only from disk? I have been looking for one but I only found a best practices that kind of mentions it but doesn't explain it.
Thank You,

Luis

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
It is in the Admin Guide