cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hi Craig, thanks a lot for

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi Craig, thanks a lot for the answer. One more help. Do I need to install the agent in a machine to take the backup of a folder which is shared. In simple terms, I have a machine in the active directory domain. I just need to take the backup of one folder in that machine. That folder is shared.

I tried to add the folder in 'User Defined Selections'. But, When the Resource Credentials check is performed, it is failing. Is there any way in which I can take the backup of this folder? Do I need to install agent in that machine too? What do you think? I tried locating the folder in Windows Network & Domains. But, the credential check is failing in all the options.

Thanks in Advance.

Tom

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

...try turning AOFO in your job and seeing if the exception disappears.

That said, as long as you can restore the data that you have selected for backup, you could ignore the message. You need to test that restore.

As for the message for Exchange, take note of the requirements in the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

Thanks!

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

CraigV

Hi Tom,

I branched this off onto its own discussion...

You can get away with no RAWS agent on a server if the folder is shared. You'd simply create a user-defined selection by adding in the: \\servername (or IP address)\share into the selection list.

To ease problems though, get hold of the agent...it really makes life a lot easier, and it shouldn't cost too much for 1 server. Don't forget it allows you to back up the entire server if need be, or additional folders simply by clicking on them. You have 1 selection section for the server to deal with, not multiple (possibly problematic) selections.

Thanks!

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi Craig,

I had created a selection in the user-defined selection. (\\Server_name\<folder>). I made sure that the folder is shared and the share permission is as follows.

Share Permission - Everyone - Full Control

Security Permission - Administrator - Full Control

The Administrator is the same admin account for the media server.

The server is running Windows 2003 operating system.

After adding the user defined selection, and upon running the Resource credential test, it is showing the error "A communications failure has  occurred." I haven't installed the agent in that machine.

Is there any way that I can achieve this? Please advice.

Regards,

Tom Jacob

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

You would still need the RAWS license installed on the BE media server & also enable the selection of user shares from Tools - Options

Once done, try an actual backup instead of a test

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Once past 60 days from initial install, you will need a RAWS serial to connect to any remote machine (ServerOS or WinXP or later), whether to a User Share or System Share. 

(This also applies to NAS devices if BackupExec thinks the OS is a server)

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi,

I have a license for 'Remote Agent for Windows and NetWare Servers' installed in the media server.

Also, I have made sure that the option that 'Enable Selection of user shares'. Still, when I run the credential check, it is failing.

Do you feel that I need enable something else?

Regards,

Tom

VJware
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Do you get the same error when you run an actual backup ?

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

Still, when I run the credential check, it is failing

If you logon to the media server as the ID you are trying to connect with (usually the BESA), can you map and connect to that/those resources?

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi,

I had configured the backup as I told. Added the shared folder in the user defined selections. The agent was not installed on the client server.

Yes. The media server logon ID is the same as the Active directory domain admin credential. I was able to map that shared folder to the local server with this credentials. The admin credential has full permission to the shared folder.

The backup has completed successfully. But, with 'Exceptions'

Here is the log that I get.

Server - <Server Name>
V-79-57344-3844 - The media server was unable to connect to the Remote Agent on machine <Server Name>.
The media server will use the local agent to try to complete the operation.
WARNING: Media servers cannot completely protect remote Windows-based servers or workstations unless the Backup Exec Remote Agent is installed and running on each remote Windows-based server or workstation to be protected. Data loss can occur if the Remote Agent is not running while backing up remote Windows-based computers.

Please refer to the documentation or online help for more information.
Remote Agent not detected on <Server Name>.
V-79-57344-65277 - AOFO: Initialization failure on: "\\<Server Name>\<Folder Name>".

Advanced Open File Option used: No.
Remote Agent not detected on KPMFACT.
Set Information - "\\<Server Name>\<Folder Name>"
                        Backup Set Information
Family Name: "Media created 2/1/2012 10:00:03 PM"
Backup of "\\<Server Name>\<Folder Name>"
Backup set #20 on storage media #1
Backup set description: "<Backup Name>"
Backup Method: Full - Back Up Files - Reset Archive Bit

Backup started on 2/2/2012 at 4:20:04 AM.
Backup completed on 2/2/2012 at 4:20:45 AM.
Backup Set Summary
Backed up 10 files in 1 directory.
Processed 246212427 bytes in  41 seconds.
Throughput rate: 344 MB/min
Compression Type: Hardware

Though there was an exception, the log is showing as it has copied the files & folders. Unfortunately, I could not check a restore, since the tape was replaced. To get the tape back, and check, it would require some time. Have any one received this type of log? I suppose, I should be able to retrieve the logs. Also, I received one more notification. I have an Exchange server in place. The database folder is backed up using Backup Exec. I already have applied the license for Exchange server in the media server.

Here is the exception notification.

V-79-57344-4615 - To support individual mailbox message and folder restores from Information Store backups, you must download and install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects package version 06.05.7888 or later on the Exchange 2007 server. This package can be found on the Microsoft web site. 

CraigV

...try turning AOFO in your job and seeing if the exception disappears.

That said, as long as you can restore the data that you have selected for backup, you could ignore the message. You need to test that restore.

As for the message for Exchange, take note of the requirements in the TN below:

http://www.symantec.com/business/support/index?page=content&id=TECH51740

Thanks!

Tom_Jacob_Chira
Level 3

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the message. I tried the restore. I could successfully restore the files in the shared folder. The only difficulty is that, I will not be restore to the original location, since agent was not installed in that machine. But, I had restored the files successfully to the media server, and from there I can restore to the original location.

AOFO was already turned ON. But, still the same warning message is received. Though the exception message is there, the backup is successful. I really could test the restore job recently only. I appreciate everyone's contribution to this.

Regards,

Tom