Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

High network utilisation between CASO and MMS

milo21
Level 2
Partner

Hi,

I have 2 BE servers, one is MMS and the other one is CASO. The MMS server has tape drive attached.

And what i want to do is ill backup the data that resides on the MMS server to its attached tape drive.

Since I do have CASO, I create a job policy in CASO not on MMS.

But our network admin said that there is high network utilization between CASO and MMS. What Im thinking is that when I trigger the job in CASO it will instruct MMS to backup itself to its tape, so it shouldnt use LAN traffic. Is this true?

Thanks,

milo

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When you make a server into a MMS(MBE) it uses the SQL server of the CASO server as the primary database for all operations (unless you use the option to have local ADAMM)

As centrally created jobs start their details are sent to or picked up by the MMS server

Also during jobs the MMS wil update the CAS as to the status of the operations jobs.

At the end of the job the job log (and depending on setting) the catalogs are also sent to to the CAS

You can reduce the traffic by

- creating the jobs on each MMS/MBE and setting the CAS to monitor locally created jobs (which gives you centralized feedback but not centralized configuration and control. 

- adjusting the catalog files locations (which can affect which servers can and can't do restores.

- changing the performance on the CAS to MMS/MBE comms (which can be used to reduce the frequency of updates etc)

- Implementing the local ADAMM setup

All of the above have potentially negative impacts as such if your network can cope with the extra traffic then leave the configuration as it is. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Why have a CASO with 2 servers? Is there a requirement for this?

The MMS and CASO constantly "talk" to each other...on the properties of the MMS on the CASO is the option to set a line speed. Setting it lower will send updates less frequently which is what is happening now.

Thanks!

milo21
Level 2
Partner

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the reply.

Actually I have 13 MMS and 1 CASO, i just dont include other MMS to emphasize the issue. Well I talked to the support they said that i should create my jobs on MMS not on CASO.

But still can't understand. Can you explain it further for me, why is I need to re-create my jobs in MMS server??

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

When you make a server into a MMS(MBE) it uses the SQL server of the CASO server as the primary database for all operations (unless you use the option to have local ADAMM)

As centrally created jobs start their details are sent to or picked up by the MMS server

Also during jobs the MMS wil update the CAS as to the status of the operations jobs.

At the end of the job the job log (and depending on setting) the catalogs are also sent to to the CAS

You can reduce the traffic by

- creating the jobs on each MMS/MBE and setting the CAS to monitor locally created jobs (which gives you centralized feedback but not centralized configuration and control. 

- adjusting the catalog files locations (which can affect which servers can and can't do restores.

- changing the performance on the CAS to MMS/MBE comms (which can be used to reduce the frequency of updates etc)

- Implementing the local ADAMM setup

All of the above have potentially negative impacts as such if your network can cope with the extra traffic then leave the configuration as it is. 

milo21
Level 2
Partner

Thanks Collin I understood it very well