cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ho do I change the media set from a full daily backup to a differential backup??

pstevens
Level 2

It's taking too much space on the server and not necessary, since we are backing it up in cloud hosting as well. There is no option in the program to change the media set. Is that because I'm on a windows server? I'm supporting a new company w/ no previous rules around IT best practices and now I have to clean up some things. Please help. 

4 REPLIES 4

pstevens
Level 2

I've got version 10. So I'm not sure this helps me. I need the solution for Backup Exec 10.0. 

Ken_Putnam
Level 6

You don't change the media set, you change the job properties.  (tho if you run fulls and diffs, you probably do want different media sets for data retention purposes)

Open/edit  the job and change the Backup Type

If you have been running the same job every night, then you will need to create a new one, selecting DIFF., since you still need to also run periodic fulls, say once a week

If you use modified time rather than archive bit, then you MUST use the same selection list for both the FULL and DIFF jobs

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You should also be aware that you are trading storage space for complexity when it is time to restore.  With full backups, you only need to restore from the last full backup.  With differential backups, you need to restore the last full backup PLUS differential backup