cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HostID value must fall within the range error

stenorman2001
Level 3

Hi,

We are having some problems with setting up BackupExec 2012 when we try to edit or create a backup for a Windows server.

When we attempt to edit an existing job or creating a new one, and save the changes, we receive the following error:

HostId: The length of the value must fall within the range "0" (Inclusive) - "32" (Inclusive).

The HostId that's been assigned to the server (to be backed up) is it's IPv6 address, which is obvously longer than 32 characters in length. The server is running SP1a with all available updates according to LiveUpdate.

How would we go about fixing this error?

We are having a few other problems (it's our first time setting up BackupExec) but I will post them separately.

Thanks,

Stephen N

11 REPLIES 11

Riyaj_S
Employee Accredited Certified

Try to add the server with any of the following by clicking on Add Servers:

1) IPv4 address. 2) Netbios Name 3) FQDN name.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Riyaj

stenorman2001
Level 3

Trying any of these options still results in Backup Exec selecting IPv6 address of the server to use for the host ID.

Is there a way of manually setting the host ID to something else?

Are others using IPv6 in a Backup Exec environment and what have been the results?

What should the host ID usually end up being set to (when it's working properly)?

Backup_Exec1
Level 6
Hi I have seen this error when SQL is installed in language other thank English see if the below link is applicable for you and also ensure you have open a support ticket with Symantec for this issue http://www.symantec.com/docs/TECH183286 Thanks.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

You could try to force BE to use only IPv4. Click on the BE button ---> Configuration and Settings ---> Backup Exec Settings

stenorman2001
Level 3

I've tried that to no avail. We do have a support ticket open, but here are the details of the problem I've been able to work out so far:

1. Two servers both running Server 2008 R2 with all available updates installed
  2. One server runs BE 2012 with all available updates, the other is an AD and File Server
  3. Both servers have IPv6 configured and DNS entries for both IPv4 and IPv6
  4. The file server has been added to BE 2012 by it's FQDN
  5. You create a job for the server which sends the data to a deduplication store
  6. Enable the remote computer to perform client-side deduplication
  7. Save the job
  8. The UI states that the BE services need to be restarted
  9. Restart the BE services (if you don't client-side deduplication will not work for the server)
  10. Observe the Host ID field under Direct Access Properties for the file server
  11. The Host ID field is the IPv6 address of the server
  12. Attempt to edit the backup job (no need to make any changes) and save the job
  13. The following appears

Riyaj_S

Please open a support case for this issue. This issue is under investigation.

Thanks,

Riyaj

stenorman2001
Level 3

Hi Riyaj,

Yes we do have a support case open at the moment.

For others who may be experiencing the same issue you can, as a temporary solution, reduce the lengths of the IPv6 address of the server (by using ::). If the length of the address is 32 characters or less the host ID will be accepted and the backup will proceed.

You will need to restart all BE services (including Deduplication ones) to generate the new host ID.

Cheers,

Stephen

JoeMCNY
Level 3

Where you able to get a reolution?  Having the same issue here.

stenorman2001
Level 3

Hi,

No we haven't as yet. Symantec are still investigating the issue. My guess is that we'll need a hotfix to correct the problem.

As a workaround, if you can get the IPv6 address of client down to less than 32 characters (using ::) you can continue to perform the backup - though I realise this might not be possible in some environments.

Note that if you change the IPv6 address of the client you will need to restart the Backup Exec services in order for it to update the Host ID.

Cheers,

Stephen

JoeMCNY
Level 3

Yeah I dont want to mess with IP setting in our live enviroment, but I was able to do another work around of deleting the trust and publishing on the agent and restarting  BUE, then adding the info back in.  That seems to work for now.

Naples96
Level 2

Same issue here : Case 418-536-806