cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hot fix 11 is out

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
Addresses GRT issues but you need to reboot exchange server after install.
16 REPLIES 16

Derek_Hill
Level 4
I am downloading this as we speak as Live Update doesn't pick this up. I have read through the instructions and basically is says you need to push the remote agent to all the clients again. As I am using the AOFO, this means a reboot on each client.

Before I go take on this step, I wanted to know if anybody has installed this hotfix yet and if yes, what have the results been.

Thanks.

Derek

Philip_Pearson
Level 6
I have installed but I need to reboot my exchange server tonight before I get the results.

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
Do you have a link to Hotfix 11, can't find it on their fabulous website

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Stephen:

Here you go:

Link to download the 32 bit version of the hotfix: http://support.veritas.com/docs/287233

Link to download the 64 bit version of the hotfix: http://support.veritas.com/docs/287234

What issues does this hotfix resolve?
Exchange IS Backup to Tape with GRT enabled may not display all items for restore
Restore of Exchange IS Mail items using GRT may not correctly restore attachments or embedded items
Restore of Exchange IS Mail items using GRT may result in corrupt or missing mail messages
Restore of a Mailbox from GRT data results in the Remote Agent Stopping on the Media Server

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
Thanks for the Link :)

Derek_Hill
Level 4
Ok,

I have installed HF11, rebooted, updated all the agents and the problem of not being able to restore a mailbox has NOT been resolved. The error message is different, before it was access denied, now it is the "Mailbox doesn't exist".

Job ended: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 at 8:51:51 PM
Completed status: Failed
Final error: 0xe0008488 - Access is denied.
Final error category: Security Errors

For additional information regarding this error refer to link V-79-57344-33928

Errors
Click an error below to locate it in the job log
Restore- \\POREXCH-001\Microsoft Information Store\First Storage Group Unable to restore any content for Hill, Derek because the Microsoft Exchange database that hosts that mailbox is offline or the mailbox doesn't exist.

So much for this hotfix. Needless to say I am disappointed.

Derek

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Derek:

Could you please provide me with a job log, and debug of the failed job?

To put the remote agent into debug please do the following

1) Go to the Services Applet under Start | Settings | Control Panel | Administrative Tools | Services
2) Double click on the "Backup Exec for Windows Servers Remote Agent" Service
3) Stop the service
4) Under the start up parameters put in the following "-debug"
5) Press the start button

Once this is done run your GRT job.

This will create a beremote debug log in you backup exec\logs directory.
Post your e-mail address and I will send you an e-mail so you can reply with the debug logs and the job log.

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
I installed Hotfix 11 yesterday and rebooted server overnight. Just ran my first Backup with Verify selected and Backup ran for the first time with no errors :)
I can now successfully backup my First Storage Group with Job Successfull status.

Problem is I attempted a restore of a delete outlook folder from my mailbox and received the following error:
e0001203 - An error ocourd while creating or accessing the directory specified for this operation ....... link V-79-57344-4611 Which takes me to a "no documents matched your search on veritas.com"

So at least a Backup doesn't kill my services and run over and over again, but its not much use if I can't restore!!!!!!!!!!!

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
Round two
Just found this from Timothy Runion in another thread:
I think I have solved the problem, at least I am getting successful restores. I was getting errors running backup and restore jobs. This is what I have found to correct the problem within my environment. Exchanges uses a staging area to copy temp files to for running a restore. This option can be found by going into Tools-Options click on restore and make note of the path used for the media server. The problem for us was our backup was 61G when running a restore it needs exactly that much free space on the media server to store the temp files. Our media server had a 30G drive which wasn't near enough. The error code generated from Backup Exec was fairly vague so it took me a while to figure out where to troubleshoot. We put in a larger drive and the restore worked like a charm. One thing to note is if you try and use a mapped network drive as the location to store the temps, that doesn't work either. It must be a physical drive on the media server.

I have changed my restore temp folder and the job has now started. I have a 40Gb private store and it looks like it needs to restore the whole lot to a temp folder before it can get access to my data .

I will keep you posted.

Stephen

Stephen_March_2
Level 3
It works, well sort of. Successfull restored folder full of emails back into my Inbox, but the body of the email is blank. :(

Derek_Hill
Level 4
Joshua -

I have an open case with this and have sent the log files to the support person there, unfortunately I deleted them from the desktop after they were created. My case # is 280-958-889, not sure if you have access to the case notes. The engineer is still working on the issue, but hasn't figured it out as of yet.

Thanks for following up.

Derek

Joshua_Kane
Level 6
Employee
Derek:

The best thing to do is to call the Tech Back, or to call into support. If the engineer is still stumped give them my name, and I will assist them

Joshua Kane
Symantec

Tim_Nilimaa
Level 4
Please post the solution here if you find any.

Is the support on this issue free from Symantec?

Kind regards

Tim

jennifer_bogut_
Level 3
I installed it and it did NOT solve my issues at all and I am having the same one as everyone else - Access is denied.

Derek_Hill
Level 4
Nope, support is not free, but we purchased a maintenance contract with the software. I will post a fix if once I have it.

Tim_Nilimaa
Level 4
Nor did it fix my problem.. I hope Derek will get an answer soon.. I'll be calling Symantec tomorrow..

I just hate that Veritas let them be bought =(