Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HotAdd transport mode - Backup Exec 2010 R2

niko
Level 3
Partner
Hi -

What are the requirements for the HotAdd transport mode, using Backup Exec 2010 R2 to backup Vsphere 4 environment?

Must the Backup Exec 2010 R2 media server be installed directly on a VM to make HotAdd work?

Kind r

Bjørn.
9 REPLIES 9

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi niko,

Pg. 1341 of the BE Admin GUide states you need to check your VMware documentation for more information.
Hotadd would simply be the means of how BE gets your VMs backed up...not really a BE-restricted feature, and the software leverages what is in VMware itself to do the backup.

Thanks!

CraigV

Actually, get hold of the BE 2010 R2 Admin Guide, and read the section on Symantec Backup Exec Agent for VMware Virtual Infrastructure...that will tell you what you need to do.
Hotadd basically allows you to use a VM as a proxy server...

sksujeet
Level 6
Partner Accredited Certified
Are you using esx 4.1 then check this out:

http://support.veritas.com/docs/358281

If it is not esx 4.1 then there might be some other issue if it is not working and there is no need to install backup exec on VM to make hotadd work.

teiva-boy
Level 6
Currently as of this date, 4.1 is not supported.  It will be soon as there is a bug in the vStorage API from Vmware.  This applies to both Backup Exec and NetBackup.

Now, if I understand right, hot-add is mainly for virtualized backup servers, and for no other reason.  Correct?  

Ben_L_
Level 6
Employee

"Currently as of this date, 4.1 is not supported." Actually that is incorrect. 4.1 is supported by Backup Exec 2010 R2, please review the BE SCL for 2010 R2.

CraigV

Hi,

Any news on this? Did it help at all?

Thanks!

Ed_B1
Level 3

Hi,

Any idea when R2 will support the Hot Add feature on VSphere 4.1? NBD peformance is painful to say the least

Cheers

Ed

teiva-boy
Level 6

Ed, why not look at improving the NBD performance by way of more bandwidth?  This is a vmware limitation at the moment, but I've never been able to figure out if you can team the console ports to get more bandwidth, but that would solve the issue given enough ports...

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I am slightly wondering about the point of Hot Add using the vSphere/vStorage API

With VCB - you could install the VCB proxy on a separate server from the Backup Exec Media server therefore the proxy could be inside a VM with the media server outside so that it can still address a physical library.

With vSphere/vStorage - you can't separate the vStorage API calls from the BackuP Exec Media Server so to run HotAdd you would have to out the meida server inside a VM and then have complications trying to access phycical tape libraries - just my 2p/2c