cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Hotfix install problems?

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
I manage ~ 8 Backup Exec 10 servers, and the typicall hotfix install process seems to include the hotfix failing to install on at least half of them. I can sometimes get the updates to install after rebooting a bunch of times, but I'm guessing this isn't the intended behavior. Having to reboot after installing the hotfix is bad enough, but having reboot before makes it that much worse. The only downtime my servers have is due to Veritas products.

The hotfix I am trying to install is
be5484RHF24_275514.exe

The error message I get is "Install Wizard Error".

The eventlog shows:

Event Type:Information
Event Source:MsiInstaller
Event Category:None
Event ID:11729
Date:7/4/2005
Time:1:36:56 PM
User:N/A
Computer:ROME-DC0
Description:
Product: VERITAS Backup Exec for Windows Servers -- Configuration failed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 7b 33 30 30 33 30 31 41 {300301A
0008: 31 2d 45 41 39 45 2d 34 1-EA9E-4
0010: 42 43 32 2d 42 32 36 37 BC2-B267
0018: 2d 35 45 33 32 33 41 39 -5E323A9
0020: 42 32 33 45 30 7d B23E0}
14 REPLIES 14

Kieran_Spain
Not applicable
We recently had the same problem installing this hotfix and found that the server did not have Service Pack 1 for Backup Exec installed.

It might be worth checking the list of installed updates on those servers.

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

It seems that you are installing the Security Rollup hotfix 24 for Backup Exec 10.0 5484. As rightly pointed out in the previous reply, you need to have SP 1 for Backup Exec 10.0 in order to install th is hotfix. Refer to the following technote in order to acquire this service pack:

Title: VERITAS Backup Exec (tm) 10.0 for Windows Servers revision 5484 - Service Pack 1
http://support.veritas.com/docs/275248

Additionally you may also try to upgrade to release 5520 of Backup Exec 10.0, which is the latest release and requires no security patches as they are intergrated with the release. Refer to the following technote for more information on this:
http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277429.htm

Hope this answers your query.

Note : If we do not receive your reply within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
I am also am having that problem, I cannot get Service Pack 1 to install for backup exec 10.

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
I have Service Pack 1, and Hotfix #7 installed, so no this isn't a case of not reading the release notes.

I also have had the same problem with installing Service Packs, and various other Hotfixes on these servers in the past. I had to reinstall Backup Exec a number of times before I could get the Service Pack on a lot of our machines.

Thanks for info about 5520, when looking for updates for Backup Exec (since the Veritas Update page is broken) I was only looking under "patches" or "upgrades" not under "install".

The correct link for 5520 is http://seer.support.veritas.com/docs/277181.htm

as a side note, ftp.support.veritas.com is down, so getting 5520 is impossible (verified from 4 ISP's)

priya_khire
Level 6
Hello,

Thats right. I mistakenly gave you the link for the security rollup patches instead of 5520. http://support.veritas.com/docs/277181 is the correct link. The link is now up, so you can install the latest release. In case you encounter problems, do write back to the forum.

However if we do not recieve your update on thie post within two business days, this post would be marked ‘assumed answered’ and would be moved to ‘answered questions’ pool.

Regards.

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
My problem was solved by going into the backupExec console - "Serial and installation" wizard. I called into support yesterday and this resolved my issue. I must admit that it does seem like when it comes to patching BackupExec, it is very hard for some reason. I have been a BackupExec customer since 8.0 version. The patching is not getting better. I asked the tech support to share the technote with me but they said it is a known fact but there is NO technote for this issue.

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
You have not given me any information whatsoever as to why hotfixes and service packs do not install. All you have said is "here, try this new update". I'm sorry but that's not an answer in my books. It sounds like a majority of Backup Exec 10 users are having problems installing updates and Service Packs.

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
What do you mean by "going into the backup exec console"? Do you simply mean you open the wizard, close it, then run the hotfix or?

I did exactly that, open the Serial/Installation Wizard, close it, exit from Backup Exec, and now the Hotfix installed just fine..

Eric_Sabo_2
Level 5
Jeff - glad to see that fixed your problem also. I wanted to post a technote to the forum, sorry my instructions were that good but I was in a hurry. It is unreal that Veritas doesn't publish this fix in their knowledge base.

Ajit_Kulkarni
Level 6
Hello Mr Mottishaw,

Thank you for the update.

Regards

SRK_NA_Support
Level 3
Marked as correct, thanks for helping out where Veritas failed.

Jerry_Goodwin
Level 2
Thank you. Opening and closing seems to install something that solves the installation problem.

mike_goff
Level 2
confirmed.... issue still exists on v. 5520.

and simply running thru the serial wizard with no changes fixed it right up.

i don't remember this happening with seagate

john_jacobs_2
Level 2
hi,

Similar problems, solved by running repair option from add/remove programs.

Then SP went on OK.

No problems with subsequent hotfixes.