cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Houtly Log Backup to DedupFolder

Sergio_Maroni
Level 4

Hello! i`m have some question about how work MS SQL Log Backup  to dedup folder. We have BE 2010 R3, MS SQL 2008. Hourly Log backup has this paramerters:

Device and Media:

Device: Deduplication folder

Media set: Keep data 12 weeks, append 1 week

When this job begins: Append to media, overwrite if no appendable media is available. 

I`m dont know why but when log backup start (every hour) BE create new media on Deduplication folder even if exists not full media at the same media set. So that i`m already have more that 24 media. each of them total capacity - 50 Gb, but used only 10 - 100 MB (see attach PNG).

Other backup job work fine, with same parameters. I`m cant understand whats going on.

2 REPLIES 2

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

I suspect this relates to it being deduplicated

Note: we recommend you start jobs to disk devices (B2D or DeDup) as Overwrite anyway so that each job starts with new media (and in the background a new media family. You don't really gain very much by having append jobs to disk devices as it uses the same disk space anyway - unlike for tape based backups where you would leave empty space on a tape.

The only time we don't recommend starting disk jobs as overwrite is if you configure the "Allocate the maximum size for backlup-to-disk fiels" on a B2D (which does not apply to DeDup storage)

Sergio_Maroni
Level 4

we backup to HDD (dedup )