cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Can I add in Backup Scope of "vol0" & "etc" folder in NAS if the backup is happeing thru CIFS shares ?

Ashu_Agarwal
Level 4

How Can I add in Backup Scope of "vol0" & "etc" folder in NAS if the backup is happeing thru CIFS shares ?, Since these folders does not share publicly. Please can anyone tell me the resolution to resolve this problem.

3 REPLIES 3

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

if the NAS allows it create a share at vol0 and etc (or create a share at the next level above these points).

However if the NAS does not allow it then check to see if the device in question is supported by the NDMP option and do NDMP backups intsead of CIFS

BTW CIFS is the share level protocol - so no share = no other way to access over CIFS

Ashu_Agarwal
Level 4

Thanks for your prompt response !

So, as per my understanding based on your reply there is no other way to take the backup if folder is not shared or backup is happening thru CIFS Shares without using NDMP Services ?

Colin_Weaver
Employee Accredited Certified

CIFS is a protocol used to access shares, typically CIFS shares are not used to expose volume root or system folders and are only usually used for user data folders. As an aside you do still need a Backup Exec remote agent license to do CIFS backups

NDMP is a protocol that is usually used to access data (usually for backup purposes) on NDMP compatible devices. It does not do the access via shares but does it via application calls (APIs) directly into processes running on the NAS device. Typically the NDMP protocol can access the full structure of volumes present in such devices. Again for BE a specific license is needed but then you can choose to attach a library to the back of the supported NAS device or to somethign on the media server.

CIFS and NDMP are separate, an NDMP compatible device can host CIFS shares which means that data in the share can either be accessed at Share level (via CIFS) or at device/volume level (via NDMP)

As a similar scenario think of this:

Windows server running ftp services. There is a folder on one of the windows volumes that is also the ftp store. This folder is also directly shared via Windows sharing (in effect CIFS) This data in this folder is accesible in 3 ways - but ONLY one of the ways can get to the volume root (ftp, windows sharing or direct file system access at either local user or local service level) Yes in the windows world the volume root has a hidden, admin share on it which is similar to what I have already told you about your question.

You have not explained why you need to backup these folders, as most NAS vendors have a quick way of recovering their operating systems typically you would not need to back these locations up, just keep a document handy that provides you with any specific configuration information.