cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do I Exclude Exchange 2010 "Deleted Items" Folder From My Backup Exec 2010 R3 DAG Backup Job?

ashkan
Not applicable

Hi,

Im using Backup Exec 2010 R3.  I have not seen a single relevant thread referring to excluding Exchange 2010 "deleted items" folder from a DAG backup job.

Please dont post solutions for previous versions.  I was able to do this in the old days with BE 11 and Exchange 2003. 

What happened?  Why isnt there any documentation??

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Ashkan,

In BE 11d there was a feature to select individual mailboxes and back them up. So excluding any folder from the mailboxes was possible. But there were many many limitations of using this method of legacy backups of mailboxes. Same data would be backed up twice (by selecting individual mailboxes and by selecting Information Store for disaster receovery of Exchange).

To eliminate those limitations Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) was introduced from BE 11d (v7170) and above. In this we just need to backup the complete Information Store and not individual mailboxes (legacy way). But in restore you will be able to drill down to individual mailboxes and individual email items and restore it. So since during backups we select complete Information Store we can not exclude individual items in the mailbox.

Thanks,

-Sush...

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

Sush---
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

Hello Ashkan,

In BE 11d there was a feature to select individual mailboxes and back them up. So excluding any folder from the mailboxes was possible. But there were many many limitations of using this method of legacy backups of mailboxes. Same data would be backed up twice (by selecting individual mailboxes and by selecting Information Store for disaster receovery of Exchange).

To eliminate those limitations Granular Recovery Technology (GRT) was introduced from BE 11d (v7170) and above. In this we just need to backup the complete Information Store and not individual mailboxes (legacy way). But in restore you will be able to drill down to individual mailboxes and individual email items and restore it. So since during backups we select complete Information Store we can not exclude individual items in the mailbox.

Thanks,

-Sush...