cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Much Server for Backup Exec 2014

pjamme
Level 4

I had opened a question about getting back into BE a while ago and found out I needed Windows 2012 Server since I may want to backup my 2012 DC.

I also purchased VMWare vSphere Essentials so I could backup VMWare servers. I received a quote from Symantec for the following:

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2014 SERVER WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS BAND S ESSENTIAL

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2014 AGENT FOR APPLICATIONS AND DATABASES WIN PER SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS
BAND S ESSENTIAL

SYMC BACKUP EXEC 2014 AGENT FOR VMWARE AND HYPER-V WIN PER HOST SERVER BNDL STD LIC EXPRESS
BAND S ESSENTIAL

I have been backing upt to disk (30 minute incremental, full twice daily) using DPM 2007 to an HP MSA20 and weekly to tape to LTO4 for offsite a little less than 1TB.  I of course expect that to grow.

Anyway here is my first question:  How much server do I need for this operation?  I am looking at an HP DL 360p Gen 8, but not certain of CPU, RAM or hard drive space on server.  (I am pretty much tied to a rack mounted Proliant.)

My second question:  Do I go with Windows 2012 Standard or Windows 2012 R2 for the server OS?

And finally:  Currently using U320 SCSI LVD to connect to my Quantum LTO 4 Tape and my HP MSA20, so will need two SCSI connectors in the server.  Can I continue as before or do I need to reconsider disk and tape backups?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Sorry, I didn't see this crop up on my notifications.

It is minimalistic, but try throw more than 1 CPU with multiple cores at BE, especially if using dedupe.

I have run BE on various HP ProLiant platforms as follows:

* HP ProLiant DL385 G2 w/8GB RAM (2 x 4c AMD opteron CPUs)

* HP ProLiant DL165 G5 w/8GB RAM (2 x 4c AMD opteron CPUs)

* HP ProLiant DL385 G7 w/8GB RAM (2 x 12c AMD Opteron CPUs)

Don't put down a media server with the minimum spec...scale it for bigger than you need initially which will give you a bit of headroom to grow, especially if you start doing more on it.

Thanks!

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

CraigV

Hi,

1. System requirements are shown on the link below:

http://www.symantec.com/backup-exec/system-requirements?fid=backup-exec

2. Windows Server 2012 R2 is fine...there should be no requirement to go with anything less unless you have a contraint on your AD environment that requires you to run a different version.

3. The way you run backups on that hardware should be fine.

Thanks!

pjamme
Level 4

Craig,

Thanks for the prompt reply.

That is pretty minimalistic isn't it?

Performance wise how would it function with only that much RAM?  Souns like a single CPU will be fine?

CraigV

Sorry, I didn't see this crop up on my notifications.

It is minimalistic, but try throw more than 1 CPU with multiple cores at BE, especially if using dedupe.

I have run BE on various HP ProLiant platforms as follows:

* HP ProLiant DL385 G2 w/8GB RAM (2 x 4c AMD opteron CPUs)

* HP ProLiant DL165 G5 w/8GB RAM (2 x 4c AMD opteron CPUs)

* HP ProLiant DL385 G7 w/8GB RAM (2 x 12c AMD Opteron CPUs)

Don't put down a media server with the minimum spec...scale it for bigger than you need initially which will give you a bit of headroom to grow, especially if you start doing more on it.

Thanks!

pjamme
Level 4

Craig,

Because I undersetimated the cost of the server when i set up the budget i have a quote for a single

• 1 x Xeon E5-2630V2 / 2.6 GHz.
  • 16GB RAM
  • 3 146 GB SAS Enterprise hard drives

I did not take into consideration iLO License and Extended Warrantee (We are required to extend to 5 Years)

I also have a quote for 2 SCSI PCI as i will need one for MSA20 and one for Quantum LTO4.

Hopefully if I have issues i can upgrade to 2 CPUs down the road and more RAM.

CraigV

HP ProLiant DL3x0 Gen8? Yes you can...just purchase the CPU in time otherwise you'll be directed to a reseller who is going to charge the earth once the CPU is EoL.

Thanks!

pjamme
Level 4

DL 360 Gen 8 from CDW.

have a great day,