cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How an external script can tell if a BE backup job is running or not

Johnny_Lee
Not applicable
Hi:

I have server maintenance scripts that do things like apply OS updates and reboot the server if necessary.  We have Backup Exec 10d (about to upgrade to the 2010 version) running on a Windows 2003 server.  I would like the script (VBScript currently, PowerShell at some point) to be able to tell if there is a backup job running and, if so, pause for a certain amount of time and check again.  Once the backup job is complete the script can proceed to install the OS updates and reboot the server.

I was hoping there might be a unique process running in the OS during a backup job that isn't there when the job is complete that I could use as my indicator, but that doesn't seem to be the case.

Ideas?
2 REPLIES 2

MitchR
Level 6
Not sure if there's a way to do exactly what you're looking for, but you could do something from a reverse angle- run a pre-job command to make a flag file, and a post-job command to delete the flag file.  You'd need to do this (with different flag files) for each job you've got running.

If you have a lot of scheduled jobs, this may not be worth the effort....

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
Take a look at BEMCMD.  Not sure which flag to use with v10d,  but if you do

BEMCMD > BEMCMD.TXT

you will get a text file with all the switches and their uses.  I'm pretty sure that one will return all running jobs on a specific media server.  you'll have to parse the responses, but shouldn't take too much effort to do.