cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How backup to NAS using Backup exec 2012

Jeroeneke
Level 2

Hello everybody,

I'am new on this forum so first let me introduce myself.

My name is Jeroen and i work for a small but successful software company in the Netherlands. Our core business is AS400 / Power series, but also a part of our customers works on a Windows platform. My job is to give users technical support.

As backup solution we use Symantec Backup Exec 2012. On our network we use an Iomega NAS box.

I would like to know if it is possible to backup data to the NAS box as also recover data from the NAS box. The manual does not bring me any further and also searching the internet is not so easy.

Perhaps some of you can help me with this issue or can tell me were to find more information.

I really would appreciate your help.

Kind regards

Jeroen Spolet

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not sure why you'd need to use NDMP. The Iomega ix/px-series are all capable of iSCSI. Don't make things difficult...enable iSCSI on the NAS and create the necessary volumes.

Then, on your media server, point the iSCSI initiator (Win2K8 has built-in support for iSCSI; Win2K3 needs to have this downloaded) to the IP address of the NAS and connect to the LUNs you want to. This pops them into Device Manager under Storage, and you can span/format/label the drives as if they were local.

Create your B2D on them and away you go...

You can also run the b2dtest.exe tool to ensure that there will be no hassles with this. Just Google & download it.

Read my article below on iSCSI on Iomega NAS if you need further information...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

Thanks!

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

SuperBrain
Employee Accredited

First you must make sure the NAS box is supported by  Backup Exec 2012 :

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/forums/adminguides-scls-hcls-backup-exec-all-versions

Than, you must create a Disk Storage in Backup Exec 2012 (this is where your jobs will be targetted)

For a non-NDMP device you must check if you're able to access that UNC path without any restrictions (i.e. using an admin/root level access). Also make sure the same account is added in the Backup Exec logon account list (so it can be used to validate your backup destination to allow write)

You can create a new Disk-based Storage Device in BE 2012 by

1. Going to the Storage tab
  2. Configure Storage button - Next
  3. Disk-based Storage - Next
  4. Add the name for ur storage - Next
  5. Select Network share - Add the UNC path and finish the process.

Once done, you can create a new backup job and target your job to the newly created Disk-based Storage.

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited

Hi,

Not sure why you'd need to use NDMP. The Iomega ix/px-series are all capable of iSCSI. Don't make things difficult...enable iSCSI on the NAS and create the necessary volumes.

Then, on your media server, point the iSCSI initiator (Win2K8 has built-in support for iSCSI; Win2K3 needs to have this downloaded) to the IP address of the NAS and connect to the LUNs you want to. This pops them into Device Manager under Storage, and you can span/format/label the drives as if they were local.

Create your B2D on them and away you go...

You can also run the b2dtest.exe tool to ensure that there will be no hassles with this. Just Google & download it.

Read my article below on iSCSI on Iomega NAS if you need further information...

https://www-secure.symantec.com/connect/articles/using-iscsi-backup-your-environment-nas-backup-exec

Thanks!

Jeroeneke
Level 2

Hello Superbrain and CraigV.

Thank you both!

You help me look in the right direction.

Kind regards

Jeroen