cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I add a UNC path to a backup set?

Bryan_D
Level 2

Hello, I'm new to Backup Exec so this may sound like something fairly obvious. I'm trying to backup files from a shared folder to our file server. The trouble is I can't seem to find a way to add the folders to the Source Selections list. The workgroup isn't showing up in the list and I can't seem to find a way to enter the UNC path for the folder.

I'm able to connect to the server via the run command and \\ip\share with no issues. I also tried adding the folder as a network drive but it doesn't show in the list either.

The share is on a machine connected via a VPN and it's on a different subnet, so I can definitely see why it wouldn't show up in lists and whatnote. What I'm looking for is a way to manually specify the UNC path.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

Open the Selection list and go to "User Defined Selection" and add the remote server with the IP address, if the folder is shared you will be able to see the folder.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

Dev_T
Level 6

Hi,

Open the Selection list and go to "User Defined Selection" and add the remote server with the IP address, if the folder is shared you will be able to see the folder.

Bryan_D
Level 2

Thank you so much :)

I was looking in the completely wrong direction. I kept trying the Include/Exclude button.

For anyone else who finds this, the Manage User Defined Selections option is found by right clicking on the User Defined Selection.

pkh
   VIP    Certified

Do note that you need a remote agent licence to backup any remote server/device even if you don't install the remote agent on the remote server/device.