cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I backup 9 Tb with Backup Exec.

danilomarchetti
Level 3
 Hi guys,

I have a BE 12.5 and a tape library TL 4000 with two drives. I need to backup 9 Tb in a weekend, the job completed in 46 hours... I want to optimize my jobs.

I thought, if I split the job in two I solve my problem :) , no, I earned new problem, the agents was superloaded and the job crash.

I have some questions.

Can I use the BE to do this or I need to use another tool, Netbackup for example?

The problem with the agents is normal?

Do you have some tips?

Thanks

Dan

5 REPLIES 5

DominikG
Level 6
Partner Accredited
What do you back up in this job? flat file backup?
Or other ressources like exchange, sql, and so on...?

To which device through which connection type do you run the backup?

Ever thought of using NDMP backup?

best regards

Dominik

CraigV
Partner    VIP    Accredited
Best option would be to use a SAN (if you had one in place) coupled with SAN SSO. This would run all your backups across your SAN making it quicker than a LAN job.
Other than that, there isn't much. Check to make sure you're not backing up anything unnecessary, and that there are no antivirus scans or other maintenance jobs running that might affect the speed.
CHeck your NICs, and make sure the speed on the NICs is hard-coded, along with the speed of the switch ports.

danilomarchetti
Level 3
I'm backup a file server and the SAN SSO and the RMAL already installed.

I'd like to discovery my bottleneck in production, Can I do this?

And, are the server capacity can be the problem?  

I'm using LTO4 to make a backup, my job rate is 3800Mb/M.

How can I prove the backup made to the SAN?

Thanks a lot.

CraigV
Well, with SAN SSO installed, you would have the following setup:

1. Media server - main server connected to your library, and this has the SAN SSO option installed.
2. SAN-attached server - full installation of BE with licenses (ie. SQL, Exchange etc).

There is a wizard you run on both servers. Firstly you designate the media server as the main server and this will share the tape library. Secondly, you designate your SAN-attached servers as servers using the SAN to backup across your SAN. This means you're going to be running at whatever speed your SAN runs at (2gbps/4gbps etc).
This is basically a sharing option on a SAN. I've used it in the past, and I cut down my jobs considerably. That said, some jobs will take a very long time to back up. There isn't much you can do in that case except try tweak your settings on your servers and SAN etc a bit to get some extra performance out of them.

CraigV
Any news...?