cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I script restoring NTbackup BKF files produced on another system please?

BruGuy
Level 6
Hello,

I have a BKF file which is being produced by NTbackup on system A on an isolated network. I'm manually moving that file - via a USB stick - to system B, where I need to restore all its contents.

How can I use BExec 12.5 to automatically restore the BKF file using a script please? I'll have to repeat this operation every day and on several systems, so it's not feasible to do it manually.

In case you're wondering, it's part of a migration which will take several months.

Hope someone can help!

Thanks,

- Alan.
5 REPLIES 5

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified

In Backup Exec, create a backukp job to backup the folder which contain these files. You can schedule this backup job. Then perform the restore once the backup is done, to restore to the destination server.

Please mark it a solution, if this is useful.
Thanks

BruGuy
Level 6
"How can I use BExec 12.5 to automatically restore the BKF file using a script please?"

I want an unattended restore. Making the backup is already scheduled (and on a physically different system).

Thanks.

Ken_Putnam
Level 6
I want an unattended restore

I don't think this is possible.  The way that it is written, the backup media to be restored from must exist in the catalog when the restore job is created.

The only possible way would be to copy the BKF files to an existing B2D folder, then inventory and catalog those files using BEMCMD, and then create the Restore/Redirect job, again using BEMCMD.  I've never tried something this complex, and don't even know if you can create the restore using *.* or only specific files

BruGuy
Level 6
I've seen some examples on Google of restores using this.

Anyone got any experience or an example?

Thx.

Hemant_Jain
Level 6
Employee Accredited Certified
Ok, here is the bemcmd guide:
http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/287388.htm

This should help you use bemcmd -o90 command and schedule it using Windows task scheduler. But, i really dont see this working, if backups have not been done before hand. It is similar to how you configure using UI. But, you can give it a try. But, i dont think what you are trying to achieve is really possible.

Thanks