cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can check the number of licenses?

mike_brooker
Level 5
I've had continual problems wioth the RALUS agent, have tried nearlt every trouble shooting tip suggested, but as one last attempt, I just want to double check the licensing.

I have 2 Linux servers, only 1 agent works.

I have a software license certificate that a license number etc, it states 'Quantity of licenses 2' - so I have 2.

I want to cross check this with what the BE10 server, how many licenses does it think it has.

I got  to Tools > Serial Numbers & Installation' hit 'Next' and my RALUS agent license number is displayed (along with the Windows and Server info) but I cannot found where it states the number - so how can I confirm the number?
8 REPLIES 8

bboerst
Level 4
The Backup Exec License Assessment Tool should give you the info that you're looking for:

mike_brooker
Level 5
Ok, thanks  for that.

I ran it and it reports the following (I'm only interested in the RALUS part of the report)

Remote Agent for Linux/Unix Servers

Installation Satus
    Enabled Status    License Keys Detected     Licenses Used    Status
Yes                           Yes                        1                                       1                           Yes

So does this mean that the sever only thinks I have 1 license key for RALUS agents with reference to my printed Veritas License Certificate which states that I have 'Quantity of Licenses' '2' - or does it simlpy mean that I'm only using 1 of 2? And the reason for that is that the 2 RALUS agent refuse to work - see my numerous posts on this matter.

bboerst
Level 4
I don't use RALUS in my setup so maybe someone else can chime in.
It sounds like your Backup Exec server is only reporting that the license key that you entered for RALUS is valid for 1 license (otherwise under "License Keys Detected" it would say '2'.  Did you only receive one licese key from Symantec?  I'm looking at the licensing emails that Symantec sent me and I have a seperate license key for each remote agent.
On a side note, I don't think that Backup Exec is 'too' picky about remote agent licensing.  I would be surprised if the issue that you're having is a licensing issue - but like I said, I've never used the RALUS agent so maybe someone else can advise...

Robert_Schmidt_
Level 6
Mike - the reporting tool isn't perfect.
I've just run it. I'm using RANT (not Linux), but ... the results are probably similar.
I have two RA licenses - one for 8 seats, one for 1.

The tool reports 2 license keys, but says I have 16 in use -  "Buy more!"
 - the number in use is correct - 9 remote servers, 1 Exchange server (which includes the RA in the license) and 6 workstations (for which you don't legally need a license)

So, the tool is reporting the  number of keys, but does not "read" the key for the number of seats, and doesn't exclude workstations.

In your case, the 1 license key is correct. My concern would be that it only reports 1 in use - looks like an install problem on that second server to me.

Cheers

mike_brooker
Level 5
Thank you both.

Well I guess I still have a problem with one RALUS agent thenSmiley Sad

In a nutshell, BE server cannot communicate with ione of the RALUS agents, it shows up in the selection list (so browse function is working) but cannot authenticate with logon credentials - I used a packet sniffer and it seems as if the RALUS agent is corrupting the username or password.

It really was a last ditch attempt to found a fix for this issue - the reseller (has I Gold partnership or something like that) we purchased BE from has consulted Symantec about the issue and they have responded saying there are issues with the RALUS agent, with the behaviour I've reported and will get back, nearly a year later I still have no fix.

Sorry - rant over.

final_frontier2
Not applicable
How to check norton license code in the following case.

1. How to check if it is already registered or unregistered yet?
2. How to check expiry dates without installing norton on my computer?
3. How to check if it is valid license code without installing norton?

Hope to hear from any experts and experience users

technion
Level 3
Partner
How did you manage to reply to a year and a half ol thread with a discussion about an unnamed Norton product (which would not be Backup Exec, the subject of this thread)?

MitchR
Level 6
I'll second that.  The reporting tool has issues with some types of licenses.  We've had multi-pack licneses (i.e. a 20-seat agent license) get reported as a single license. 

I've also had the reporting tool report exactly double the number of agents in use than we were really using.

Treat the reporting tool as one step in the investigation process, but it's by no means trustworthy.