cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can i restore a single exchange mailbox from Hyper-V Machine Backup (No GRT Backup enabled)

JuergenB
   VIP   

Hello,

in most Whitepapers and best practice i can read how to backup and restore a Exchange 2016 user mailbox with GRT enabled.

But how would i restore a single user mailbox of an Exchange 2016 Server Backup, that is/was running as a Microsoft Hyper-V Guest Machine with Exchange GRT DISABLED.

Is there any best practice document?

I tried to catalog the backup set, but i only get the Hyper-V files for a restore.

Do i need to restore the Hyper-V Maschine in a test network with Exchange and a DC?
And extract the mailbox by powershell direct from the Exchange Server now with a
New-MailboxExportRequest PowerShell cmdlet?

Thanks

Jürgen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

since GRT was disabled, the backup would have not marked where the database resides in that set. So restore will not give you that selection.

You can restore the VM disk on which the database resided to a local drive.  Use some tools to open the database and get the mails or mailbox exported.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Gurvinder
Employee Accredited Certified

since GRT was disabled, the backup would have not marked where the database resides in that set. So restore will not give you that selection.

You can restore the VM disk on which the database resided to a local drive.  Use some tools to open the database and get the mails or mailbox exported.

JuergenB
   VIP   

Thanks,

i restored some Full Backups of the Exchange and a DC for some given dates.

And with powershell New-MailboxExportRequest -Mailbox ..
i have several usermailbox.pst files for given dates.