cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I Backup to Tape from a Deupe Job?

macpiano
Level 6

I must be missing this somewhere to setup in the rules but how do I create a backup to tape from the deduped job? Is it a restore but to tape?

5 REPLIES 5

AmolB
Employee Accredited Certified

You need to create a duplicate job which will duplicate the dedup backup to tape.

Its a very time consuming process as data will be rehydrated to its original form.

macpiano
Level 6

Where do you setup the duplicate job? Since the dedupe data is fairly static and the ML6000 LTO4 tape drive is attached to the same server where the dedupe job is stored I don't think time will be much of a factor. This is on a dual 6 core Dell with RAID 10.

macpiano
Level 6

I did a duplicate job and it looked like it rehydrated at a rate of 2.5 gigs per minute. I'll take that anyday.

teiva-boy
Level 6

Are you just generalizing?  Not sure where you got your information, but it is NOT a time consuming process and it works fine.  

The term rehydrate really needs to stop actually.  It's more of a reassemble of data from the segments stored.  At that point it's CPU time to do the lookups of the HASH table, and disk access speeds and read speeds to seek the platters to reassemble the segments and stream to tape.

macpiano
Level 6

I used the template to create the whole scenario so the template verifies after deduping then it will duplicate to tape "reassembling" the files which as I have stated in the test case did it at 2.5 gigs per minute on the "beefy"server. I running the whole process as we speak to see if each step works as advertised.

Tevia boy, I thought I got the rehydrate term from you but I still think it is the best term for the process.